Planning possible first trip to Latin America and would love some suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (29 and 30, respectively) are interested in perhaps visiting Latin America this fall (October or November) for a short 6 night stay. This would be our first visit, with the exception of a one day cruise stop to Cozumel when I was in high school which I don't count. We have traveled fairly extensively throughout Europe but with the rising air fare and poor exchange rate I don't think that Europe will be an option for this fall. I'm just overwhelmed by my options.

We aren't really "beachy" people, meaning we love a beautiful coast but our idea of a vacation is not spending day in and day out sitting on a beach...actually I can't think of anything more boring! We would love to experience a new culture, avoid anywhere too touristy, see some archaeological ruins or historical sights (we love history) and marvel at beautiful scenery.

The problem is airfare. We are already going back to Germany in April so we cannot spend $800 or $900 per person this fall in airfare. Unfortunately this removes my first choice, Buenos Aires, from the list of options. We can spend $550 or less per person. Initial research shows that I can fly Spirit Airlines from Atlanta to Lima for around $525 pp and to San Jose, CR for about $425 pp. Some cities in Mexico also seem to be an option, so we were looking into maybe Oaxaca or Mexico City.

If we went, say, Peru or CR can we drive ourselves around? We typically prefer the convenience of having a car, but I can't figure out if the road system is safe to navigate.

I would love to hear some suggestions to help aid me in my research.

Thanks for any/all help!
Tracy
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Honduras, Belize, and Guatemala are all fabulous options; my photos and travelogues are here if you're interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Happy trails!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Hi Tracy -

I would look at Mexico City as well as some of Mexico's glorious smaller colonial cities. You mentioned Oaxaca - that's a great choice. Lots of folks here on this forum also like San Cristobal, Merida and the ruins, Morelia, San Miguel, Guanajuato, etc. There are a lot of choices. And your airfare from Atlanta should be very reasonable.

Happy hunting!

Rob

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM

6 days is relatively short.
Lets look at Peru. Its great. I would assume you would want to visit Cuzco and Machu Picchu. You won't be able to drive to MP. You'd probably want to fly to Cuzco. You certainly wouldn't want to drive yourself. So add more $ there. And then the train to MP is about another 100.00 per person. So before you know it,your transportation budget is over $800.00.

Given your preference, Costa Rica is probably not the place you would want. Although some exist, people don't go there for historical sights and ruins. The main attraction is the nature, adventure and beaches. There is lots of beautiful scenery though. You can drive yourself around. Or there are other options - but I won't go into all that yet - since I don't think its the place you think you are looking for.
Guatemala and Mexico city seem to be good choices of the places I have visited.
Since cost seems to be important, you have to look at the whole picture - not just airfare. I would say don't completely rule out Buenos Aires yet - especially if you choose a reasonable accommodation option. Once you are there, your costs will be relatively reasonable for food and local transportation - especially if you use Europe as a benchmark. You wouldn't want to rent a car. Also, prices are rising there. The longer you wait, the more it will end up costing you.

Good luck,
raquel

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Hi Tracy, Nice to see you on the Latin America forum! I am a huge fan of Mexico's colonial towns. You could do a San Cristobal / Palenque /Merida trip in ten days. Trust me--this would provide you with all the things you are looking for. As a fellow Europe-phile, I can tell you you'd love it and experience LOTS of authentic Mexican culture.

You could also do Mexico City / Puebla / Veracruz OR Mexico City / Puebla / Oaxaca.

Costa Rica, as someone else said, is great for nature--rain forests, volcanoes, beaches, mountains. But not architecture, cafe-sitting, ruins, or the kind of cultural stuff you mentioned.

I'd love to offer more suggestions if you do decide on Mexico (or Costa Rica for that matter) as I've been several times (and LOVE it!!)
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Another vote for Mexico. With six days you could do a quick Mexico City/Oaxaca trip. Or you could spend the entire time in one of them and make a few day trips. Mexico has an exotic, vibrant culture, fascinating ruins from the pre-Columbian period and colonial cities. I think you will find it offers everything you are seeking. It's also a short flight!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM

Since your total air budget is 1100 (550 each) and your first choice is Buenos Aires, I suggest you leave your husband behind and take yourself on a holiday to BA. It is a wonderful city....
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your replies! I greatly appreciate it and you've given me a lot to think about.

You all reconfirmed my thoughts on Costa Rica. It looks gorgeous but I wasn't sure if it has what we are looking for. I'm glad I inquired about it.

Hello Cimbrone! Thank you for your thoughts. As the Europe-phile that I am culture is exactly what I am looking for. And for everyone else who also mentioned Mexico, thank you. You've mentioned towns that I never heard of, so that will give me a great place to start my research.

raquel, I was worried about transportation so I think I may have to save Peru for another trip. We just don't have a lot of time, and I was worried about getting around.

Guatemala is intriguing. I never thought about it before, so I just did a quick research on their tourism website and I'm impressed with what I saw. I'll have to look more into that as well.

Unfortunately Buenos Aires is going to have to be out. I just did a "for interest" price check and flights to BA were over $1100! I might as well go to Bangkok or Auckland for that price!

We are going to look more closely at Mexico and Guatemala. Can someone clarify for me if these countries are drivable? I don't mind public transportation but I really want to explore and found that the best way to do that usually involves a car, and we also like having the freedom that a car provides. Obviously if we stayed in Mexico City we will avoid a car (did that in London and swore off driving in larger cities on vacation...that was a nightmare!). Is it easy to get around?

Thanks again everyone! As usual, fodors is the best research tool of them all...what would I do without you guys?!

Tracy

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 04:09 PM

I always take buses in Mexico. The 1st class buses are cheap and are much nicer than American buses. There are frequent departures to and from all the cities you'd be interested in. I like not having to worry about parking, security, directions, corrupt policemen and, depending where you are traveling, the possibility of thieves (on one road between San Cristobal and Palenque, the targeting of rental cars is a big problem).

If you're set on renting a car, I know that many people do it. I just think it's less hassle to do the bus.

I haven't been to Guatemala, but Antigua is the city that will give you what you want. It's definitely on my list. Tikal is the big Mayan complex in Guatemala, and there are commuter flights from Guatemala City (which isn't far from Antigua) to Flores, the nearest city to Tikal.

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Even with just 6 days you could head to Antigua for a few days, make a quick market trip to Chichicastenango, overnight on Lake Atitlán, and finish with an overnight trip to Tikal; their are photos of all of them in my collections linked above.

It is possible to rent a car but few consider it in Guatemala. It's safer and cheaper and less stressful to take the shuttles, especially if you're sticking to the hot spots mentioned above. Rental cars mean navigating and finding protected parking areas everywhere you stop, not my cup of tea.

Let me know if I can answer questions. Happy trails!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

hopefulist, your pictures are gorgeous! You certainly have a knack for photography...something that I seriously lack!

I do have a question about Guatemala. Can you tell me how safe it is? We usually don't concern ourselves with safety while traveling, as we always use common sense and go with the flow. However, we went to Borders this evening to do a little research and my husband is a little concerned about safety issues that he read in the Lonely Planet Guatemala guidebook. Any thoughts?

Cimbrone, thanks for the information about the busses. We never really think about busses, but maybe they would be a better idea. How easy is it to get around the towns mentioned above? I'm assuming they are pretty walkable?

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Hey Tracy,
I would suggest CR or Guatemala. I've seen some of your posts on the Europe board (mostly about Croatia, because we went there recently too) and I think based on what I remember about some of your trip reports that you'd really like Latin America.

We went to CR for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. Even if you're not beach people there's so much to see and do so you definitely aren't parked on the beach all day long. And the vibe is so laid back and relaxing.

Guatemala is next on our list and we are also looking at going in November. Given your interest in history, beautiful scenery and off-the-beaten track places, Guatemala seems to fit the bill. From all I have read (and I've read a lot) it is very safe as long as you take some (mostly common sense) precautions - don't walk around late at night alone, be careful in Guate City in general, and if you go to Lake Atitlan just check with your hotel on any safety issues with hiking between the villages. Otherwise it looks like an amazing place and I'm so excited to be going there next. We plan on going to Antigua, Lake Atitlan and the Mayan ruins at Tikal and those seem to be the typical spots to hit for a first trip. Anyways, I hope that helps you a bit and happy planning!

Amanda
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Glad you enjoyed the photos! I think part of the trick is to take hundreds and hundreds of photos and then winnow them down to a few hundred.

I really don't care for that Lonely Planet Book. The new Rough Guide is excellent and a Moon Handbook has been published in the last few months that might be worth checking out.

We fell in love with Guatemala in the 80's when it was decidedly NOT a safe place to visit, then returned in '89 to bring home our son Carlos who was 4 at the time. Our visits since then have felt very safe and I'm already planning a return in '09 despite looking forward to a return to Honduras this summer.

I've pasted my safety tips below, probably already known to you. Happy trails and keep me posted!

:: I avoid the big cities as much as possible
:: Where recommended I take specific transportation (Hedman Alas in Honduras, for example)
:: I know where I am and where I'm headed
:: I don't wear jewelry (not even my wedding band) and try not to flash camera equipment or money around
:: I keep important documents and cash under my clothes (except what I need for shopping, buses, etc. for that time period)
:: I ask locals about safety in an area - evenings, hiking, etc.
:: I travel really light so I don't feel vulnerable getting my bag off and on buses, shuttles, etc.
:: I continue to build skills in Spanish

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:55 AM

All of the colonial cities are completely walkable. Another itinerary might be Mexico City / Queretaro / San Miguel de Allende / Guanajuato.

I find the Lonely Planet Guidebook for Mexico to be an excellent one. (Fodor's is also very good ) I'd read over the guidebook and see what excites you.

Do read about Puebla. It's only a couple of hours from Mexico City, and it's filled with amazing architecture. It's considered the most Spanish of Mexican cities. A church on every block. And the pottery is gorgeous. Nearby is Cholula, smaller but also nice.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with the suggestions for colonial cities in Mexico. In addition to the ones already mentioned we loved Zacatecas.

Guatamela is a great country and I think safe if you take normal precautions. However, I don't think driving one self works as well in Guat as in Mexico. Roads are very poorly marked.

In Peru we hired a guide for the first time. I think that the SV is easily driveable and you could do it on your own.

Costa Rico is a beautiful country, but it was one vacation that we didn't love. I think for us it was missing some of the things you mention that you'd like to see.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

I can't thank you all enough for your advice. I'm still not sure where we will go exactly, but you've given me a lot to think about and specifics to research, which narrowed it down dramatically from my first post.

Of the places mentioned (CR, Guatemala, colonial Mexico), I would love to hear about the food. We are definitely not foodies, but good food can make a trip even better. With that being said, we are both picky eaters (sad but true). We don't eat any seafood at all, although if we could manage to avoid seafood in Japan (we were there in October) then I think we could avoid it everywhere! But we don't stray too far away from "normal" meats and chicken, so will this be a problem anywhere. When I think of Latin American cuisine I think of wonderful aromas and spices and intense flavors, all of which sound amazing. Is this true?

Tracy
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 02:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think the food in Guat and Mexico far exceed the food in CR. Both Guat and Mexico have wonderful steaks and chicken dishes and fabulous margaritas or beer if you prefer. Different regions of Mex have different specialities, but all the food in Mexico is really good... u can find spicy dishes and ones that are "normal."
Have fun deciding.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:47 PM

I agree that the food in Costa Rica is not very exciting, especially if seafood isn't your thing.

The food in Mexico is wonderful! Excellent grilled meats. Oaxaca and Puebla are known for mole, an indiginous sauce of which there are many different versions with all different kinds of ingredients and spices. Chocolate mole (not sweet) is popular.

If you decide on Oaxaca, the Camino Real Hotel (awesome if you want to splurge on your accomodations) has an authentic Oaxacan breakfast buffet. Good stuff!

Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Different areas of Guatemala have different specialties, too. Among my favorites during my last trip were flavorful soups: Pepián, Kak Chiq (guessing on the spelling), and Tapado. I really love tortillas, beans, and rice, so I'm set anywhere in CA. By one of my host families I was served that plus soft cheese several meals every day; 1 day I had a small chicken drumstick with it for breakfast. I don't consider myself a "foody" but for some reason I take a lot of photos of my meals; when I look at the photos I can smell the aromas and taste the spiciness of Guatemala over and over.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

I'm baaacckkk....

Okay, I have a few more questions and then I'm done, I promise!

Since we don't have a lot of vacation time to take, I am looking or flights that not only offer a low airfare price but also have convenient flight times. Because of this it does narrow down my choices somewhat.

We did find a very good, non-stop flight to Cancun that is under $300 per person. The beaches around Cancun and Cozumel are gorgeous, but we are looking for more culture. If we flew into Cancun and had, say, five days/nights are there some great sites and places to see more inland? I've been to Tulum but would like to visit some of the off-the-beaten-path sites as well as the bigger more popular ones. I'll admit that I am just starting to look at this area as I checked on flights to Cancun more as an afterthought. I am interested in Merida, but I can't quite figure out how far it is from Cancun to know if it's doable by car with such a short time frame. Any thoughts?

I have been to Cozumel, once, as it was a stop on a cruise I took in high school with my friend and her parents. I must say that I did not have a very good experience there and I'm hesitant to go back. This always kind of tainted my views on this part of Mexico, so I'm not 100% sold on going back to the Yucatan...hopefully I'll get some great advice from my lovely fellow fodorites!

Also, we could fly into Mexico City but my husband is really apprehensive about flying into the city and renting a car to get to the Oaxaca and colonial Mexico area. Is it that bad? And is there a website to find out the mileages between places in Mexico?

I know that this is not the Caribbean board, but we are also considering Puerto Rico much for the same reasons as above; cheap and convenient flights.

We were thinking about Costa Rica and doing more of a nature (hiking, etc) trip because the flight prices aren't too bad, but the times are really inconvenient and we would lose almost an entire day getting to San Juan due to two layovers. Because of this we are hesitant, as our interest lies primarily in the Arenal region. The flights to Guatamala are on the higher side, but I'm still holding out hope.

Thanks so much for your help!!
Tracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -