3 weeks Sept / Oct: Where would you go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have a three+ week travel window in September / October. We are deciding between Vietnam and Europe. We are both interested in Vietnam (never been) but we are worried about the weather that time of year. I did a whirlwind trip to Europe in my 20s but my husband has never been. I know this is a wide-open question, but where should we go?

- Should we save Vietnam when we have a travel window at another time of year? (We especially want to see the north. Is the rain a deterrent Sept / Oct?)
- If we go to Europe, what would be an awesome itinerary for three (ish) weeks? (My husband expressed interest in Amsterdam.)
- What other recommendations do you have for this time frame?

We are in our early 50s. We like to get a sense of a place and stay for a few days, while taking in lots of sites: museums, art, pubs, local culture.

Last edited by campjulie; Sep 20th, 2018 at 08:58 PM. Reason: format
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 10:25 PM
kja

I haven't been to VietNam yet, and so can't comment on that part of your trip. And while my understanding is that Amsterdam is worth considering in September through mid-October, I could easily be wrong. You might consult timeanddate.com for climate data.

If I were to go to Amsterdam, I would plan a 3- or 4-week trip in / around the Low Countries. JMO.

If you choose Europe, but want a somewhat warmer, drier climate than likely in Amsterdam, consider central and southern Spain (Madrid + surrounds plus Andalusia) -- the combination could be perfect for your time frame and the climate! Or explore other options in southern Europe.

Most better guidebooks will have sections on when-to-go and likely climate; I would encourage you to go to your local library or bookstore to explore a bit.

Hope that helps!
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 07:01 AM

Hi campjulie. How nice to have 3+ weeks to travel.

How about

Week 1 Amsterdam
Week 2 Paris.
Week 3 Nice

Fly into Amsterdam and out of Nice and take trains between each. You can easily take side trips and/or tours from each city--others can make suggestions.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 10:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We arrived in Vietnam in early October and it was very hot. We wished that we had planned the trip for a later date. It rained some in Hanoi, no rain in Saigon at the end. Beautiful country, and favorite cuisine. Enjoy hour teip whenever you travel there.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 10:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have been in Andalusia in late October/ early November twice and the weather was sunny and dry, not hot nor humid.
I adore The Netherlands and love spending time there including Amsterdam. Spring, summer and fall have all been nice with good weather on our trips. I know we have been lucky with the comfortable summer temperarures there. Tulip season is out of this world, a travel highlight for me.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I'd go to Europe, but that's because I'm a lot more interested in that than Vietnam which isn't even on my list. But that's nothing more than personal preference.

I really enjoyed Amsterdam but I've only been once. I went at the beginning of a trip I spent mostly in Switzerland (flew in thru London, flew on to Amsterdam, then after 5 days, flew down to Geneva). I think it also pairs well with Paris.

My favorite 3 week trip I did was: Geneva/Lac Leman area in Vevey and Montreux, then on to Venice, then back to Paris. Flying into Geneva (thru London) and home from Paris. That was fantastic and 3 weeks was the right amount of time.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 04:48 PM

My first trip (one month)—Paris, Germany, Venice, Florence, Rome, London. I learned I preferred at least 5 nights in each major city, and about 10 days was the minimum for one country

second— Just UK- lots of regional exploration, but I longed for the wildly different culture switch I experience the first time.

So given three weeks, I’d pick two countries, if you choose Europe. In each country—1 major city, one small, historical town, and one awesome place—whether that’s a historic site or Castle or national park. Don’t try to do too much. The longer you’re in a place the more chances you have to explore. You’re going to find things you want to see by accident, either from talking to fellow travelers or by just walking past.

I’d pick Italy and Germany, personally, but you might prefer France/Spain. Netherlands/Austria, etc. and I was surprised to find that I really did enjoy the UK— while it’s not “exotic”—it’s overflowing with pubs, bookshops, and some of the world’s most valuable and fascinating artifacts in its (often free!) museums.

I don’t think I’d do Vietnam simply because I learned my lesson with summer in Japan. Heat is a drag when it comes to sightseeing. Give me rain, clouds, even snow any day. I have A LOT more energy when it’s cold out.
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 02:29 AM

There's so much to discover in Europe and travelling around is a breeze, so I'd go for that.
Rome is my favourite city in Europe. Moscow is also really amazing, but it requires a separate visa for Russia. Paris and Madrid are really cool too. So many places to go and with the good transportation options, you can do some cool tours.