Nethersland - Amsterdam - October

Old Aug 18th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nethersland - Amsterdam - October

My wife and I are considering going to the Netherlands for 7 - 10 days in October. We have traveled extensively in France and in
Italy; but never Netherland. Have sometimes rented cars through out Europe. If visiting in October; what might weather typically be
like?? I would assume we would spend about 3 nights in Amsterdam; and than want to visit other locations. I have heard that Amsterdam
can be very crowded; although might think that in October that might be less of a problem. What might be the major areas that we should
consider visiting outside Amsterdam? Is renting a car worth it; or is train travel the best way to go between locations?
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 11:21 AM
kja

For historic climate data, see timeanddate.com

For places to visit, consult a good guidebook or two.

For transportation options, see rome2rio.com
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 11:35 AM

I spent a week in Delft in April. It is lovely and much less hectic than Amsterdam.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 11:38 AM

Delft, Haarlem, Rotterdam, Den Bosch, Ghent, Den Hague....all easily accessible by train. Nice nearby venues in Belguim as well.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 12:10 PM

Or get adventurous and visit the north or the east or the far south. A car is useful if you want to see more than just cities.
The weather in October is often quite lovely until late in the month when we can get autumn storms, but it is very unpredicatable, just as it is the rest of the year. My birthday is mid October and I normally have good weather for it.
What interests you?
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 05:59 PM

trains are the best way to do day trips from Amsterdam or from other base - I'd spend say 4 days including landing day in Amsterdam and then base in say Rotterdam - a really neat though basically ultra modern city center but great museums and great easy day trips by train like to Delft - cute Delft a favorite with everybody; Antwerp - again a totally unique city - The Hague and or Kinderdjjk - Netherlands largest grouping of behemoth wooden windmills in a really bucolic setting - can take a ferry there from nearby Rotterdam or take train from Amsterdam or Rotterdam to Bruges, Belgium certainly one of most gorgeous cities in Europe and base there for day trips to Gent, Antwerp or Brussels, etc. For lots on trains check www.ns/nl - Dutch railways site - Belgian Railways - https://www.belgiantrain.be/en/home; general info on trains www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com and www.ricksteves.com - pretty much all are regional trains that no need to pre-book as seat reservations not even possible.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 08:49 PM

All very good suggestions and I'll add one more:

Base yourself in Utrecht, not Amsterdam. Utrecht is the train hub of the Netherlands because of its centrality. And it is a gorgeous, interesting city without the Amsterdam crowds (those are present in October, Amsterdam's overtourism now is a year-round phenomenon). Also, it has a city centre that hasn't been completely destroyed by tourism.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 05:38 AM

You are suggesting they not even visit Amsterdam at all?
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 05:48 AM

No Menachem suggests staying in Utrecht and visiting Amsterdam and other places, from there. Utrecht is the centre of the Dutch railway system, so it makes some sense. Also a cheaper place to stay than Amsterdam.
Not sure Utrechters want to be discovered and subjected to over-tourism though .

I still think OP should think outside of "Holland" and see the Netherlands.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 06:01 AM

Haarlem to me would be a better base for Amsterdam - smaller more quiet regional town than Utrecht.

Last edited by PalenQ; Aug 19th, 2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Haarlem to me would be a better base for Amsterdam - smaller more quiet regional town than Utrecht.
I think Utrecht might be the happy medium. You suggest Rotterdam: that's a city that's neither small, nor quiet. Utrecht - Amsterdam by train: 20 minutes.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 10:35 AM

anyway I would suggest Amsterdam as a place that has so much to offer at night for people who like all kinds of music - boat tours at night thru the wondrously illuminated canals and staying in Amsterdam lets you go back to your hotel during the day if want. But if mencham says Amsterdamn is simply too mobbed in October then I accept that - just make forays into town to see museums, Anne Frank House and a canal boat trip and RLD if that interests you and seek refuge in a calmer Utrecht which even years ago when I stayed there a lot still offering a vibrant nightlife. And then Utrecht could be your base for all of Netherlands - a rail hub with buses to nearby Schiphol Airport and connections everywhere.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
anyway I would suggest Amsterdam as a place that has so much to offer at night for people who like all kinds of music - boat tours at night thru the wondrously illuminated canals and staying in Amsterdam lets you go back to your hotel during the day if want. But if mencham says Amsterdamn is simply too mobbed in October then I accept that - just make forays into town to see museums, Anne Frank House and a canal boat trip and RLD if that interests you and seek refuge in a calmer Utrecht which even years ago when I stayed there a lot still offering a vibrant nightlife. And then Utrecht could be your base for all of Netherlands - a rail hub with buses to nearby Schiphol Airport and connections everywhere.

Where do you think inhabitants of Utrecht go to have fun? And its fun to a much better scale. Moreover, trains don't stop running at 6PM you know. There's a good all night service to Utrecht.

For instance: https://www.likealocalguide.com/utrecht
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 08:02 AM

For what it is worth, we wanted to visit Amsterdam in october 2-3 years ago and were appalled by the price of the hotels. We ended up going to Champagne, so cannot really say if t was so crowded.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 01:53 PM

Into biking at all - bike rentals abound - classic one goes from Amsterdam by free bike/pedestrian ferry across the Ijs (harbor) and in a few kilometres you are out in bucolic polders dotted by cute villages like - menachem is an absolute expert on biking routes around Amsterdam and if interested I'm sure would be happy to advise.