Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Wire money in advance to local guide - safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, After a lot of planning and research, we are having David Choque (highly recommended on this forum several times) plan our trip (in 2 weeks) for us. He has worked out a terrific itinerary at a reasonable price. However, for payment, he wants half the money wired up front. He does have a "Visa verified by Visa VeriSign secured online payment" option on his web site:

http://cuscotoptravelperu.com/index-6.html

but it gives the following message:

We are sorry but the online payment service of the tour operator that you want to access is temporarily unavailable or expired, Please contact with the tour operator directly and inform of this error to your tour operator
Thank you for your understanding

I know some travelers mentioned wiring money up front. Is this to be expected?I'm nervous about sending several thousand $ like this. It seems like a very unsafe method of conducting business. Any thoughts and reassurances would be highly appreciated.

Thank you all - you;re a wonderful community and our vacations have become much better since I started using the forum.
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 01:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm reluctant to wire money and have only done it once, to rent an apartment. I've since decided that I won't in the future as, in this day of other more secure methods, I don't think it's necessary. My feeling is I'd rather find someone who takes credit cards or an agency through whom I can book that does or agree to pay cash on arrival.

In this case one wonders if there are enough clients who will take a chance on wiring money to keep him in business. Maybe there are if he doesn't need to keep his credit card payment option up to date. But when 1 thing slips through the cracks, what other problems might one encounter. Just my way of reasoning.

I'd ask about the "online payment option" and when will it be available. If the answer is never, then ask if there's another way to pay with a credit card such as an affiliated business (friend). When you pay with a credit card you have recourse. Wiring money you have nothing of the kind. If this person can provide what you want then someone else can too. I'd even pay more for the peace of mind.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:14 AM

I agree with mmePerdu. I would never wire money to an individual or company. You have little or no protection if things go wrong. Whereas in most countries, using a credit card will afford some measure of protection if the vendor runs off with your money or goes bust although claim a refund can be a real pain!

As you say, David cheque is highly recommeded by some on this site ( although I have no experience of him myself) but that doesn't lathe ether fact that things could still go wrong and you would have no protection. Many small operators will use a third party payment collection agency rather than ViSA direct and it could well be that he has just changed agencies and failed to update his website. The verified by VISA service is there to protect the agent as much, if not more than, the cardholder.

Have you been in contact with to ask why the online payment service is not operating? Has he actually asked you to wire money?
Old Mar 15th, 2013, 08:03 AM

If if is a highly reputable company then I do not see a problem. The most secure is paypal. Well, if cannot wire to the above person then go with another recommended company.
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 07:46 AM

Between guides and apartment rentals I have wired money many times without problems.....but I do check references carefully. I think it's one of the realities of booking directly with local people - but obviously you have to do what you're comfortable with.

Secondarily regarding David Choque - we had the pleasure of traveling with David in the SV in 2005 and highly recommend him...as I understand it his ability to take credit cards is reasonably new and not without start up bugs so I would email him to see if he can resolve the problem on his end. Did you try to do it more than once? Sometimes that works too!

Have a great trip - I'm sure you will.