Reload this Page >

Wire transfer vs credit card payment for booking

Notices

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seeking input on the above issue because the company (Amalfi Coast Accomodation) I'm booking with has been unable to process a credit card payment. (Card is valid and c.c. payment is listed as a valid form of payment on their website. Co is citing a bank processing issue but it's been plenty of time). This is raising a red flag for me so ... before I wire any funds, does anyone have previous experience with the company or have suggestions on handling the matter? Thanks.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM

I like having my credit card issuer as a backstop in case of chicanery. I used their good offices twice last summer, once with SNCF and once with a French hotel.

Consider booking a different accommodation.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
before you do anything like wiring money - contact you credit card issuer and see if they can tell what the problem is.

Sometimes it is a processing problem and can be straightened out.

They can tell you if the charge was ever even presented. Sometimes companies prefer cash because they have cc fees. They might be holding out for cash for that reason - which would make me think twice . . . .
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:07 AM

A company that, in 2008, can not process a CC payment is not a company that I would trust. An legitimate online company that has a problem with CC would be out of business in weeks; plain and simple, it's the only way honest companies do commerce on the Internet.

Give them incentive to fix this problem, if it really IS a problem and not a lie to get to not protect yourself, by telling them you won't pay except by CC.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM

I have no idea about that company, but it is possible that is really true and that it is their problem (not your CC nor any bank). So asking your CC if it had been presented wouldn't turn up problems that company has in submitting CC payments.

For example, I have periodically shopped at a store near where I work, a small convenience-type place, that has a problem processing my credit card about 75 pct of the time (as well as other people, not just me). When I asked them the last time why this was taking so long, what was the problem, as it was a valid card I had no problem using in other stores -- they said it was their particular service they used for connectiosn to the credit card company to verify the charge (or something like that). You know, when they swipe your card, and you hear noise for a while and they wait for it to be authorized? It was that service, and they had a really bad one and had trouble with it a lot. Either it was the service they were using or their machine, something like that. But my CC company wasn't doing anything nor was the charge even being presented to them, probably.