Reload this Page >

Using eBay and PayPal - problems?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 06:17 AM
Cassandra

A number of posters have suggested using eBay for purchases of everything from clothing to travel certificates to event tickets. I have used it successfully for a couple of very small purchases of memorabilia I couldn't get elsewhere, and used PayPal satisfactorily.

Since then I have heard warnings from people and some consumer-oriented radio programs that there have been a few serious problems with Ebay/PayPal because there is effectively no customer/client service available for PayPal and if something goes wrong and you don't get your item/money (or there's a problem with the item) you are pretty much out of luck.

Is there anyone here who has had a problem with PayPal (or eBay) or knows whether this is very isolated or an increasing problem?

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cassandra,

PayPal gives you a choice of paying either from your checking account or a credit card. If you use the credit card you don't have to worry about backup from PayPal. Your protection would come from either Visa or Mastercard.

If something is wrong with your purchase and the seller won't make it right, just contact your credit card company and tell them the problem. You will have to support your contention, then they will credit your account for the transaction amount and deduct if from the seller's account. I always print out a copy of the listing I have been successful on. If there is a dispute, keep copies of all correspondence relating to the claim.

If the seller screams, more correspondence will be necessary. All you have to do is make sure you are on firm ground with your complaint and have it documented.

In any event, Visa or Master Card will keep you informed and tell you what to do.

Do not pay by check, money order, etc. or you have very, very little recourse. Ebay will pretend it doesn't exsist and "get back to you". They are basically worthless when you have a complaint of any kind. Just try to find the link to make a complaint is tricky and very time consuming.

Dick
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 07:25 AM

I have bought and sold many items on E-bay and used PayPal to pay and collect. Out of almost 200 transactions, I have paid for an item and not received it once. I did not take the proper steps and waited too long to really make a complaint. I stupidly believed them that they were going to send it. I learned my lesson and it is buyer beware. I learned alot and now I take the feedback of sellers very seriously, I read their reviews and even if they have just one negative comment I want to know what it is. Some people clearly have a problem, and I avoid them. Most things I am looking at usually have multiple sellers and I will pay a couple bucks extra to buy from what appears to be a more reputable seller. They now psot the feedback rating right on the item screen so you can click and check it out. When I began with Paypal years ago, I had a problem with a password and a multiple account, and every new password they sent me in the mail would not work and it was months trying to get custmer service and resolution. After E-bay bought PayPal, I have had no problems and use it often.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 07:59 AM

I had a problem with one transaction on eBay and had PayPal step in immediately and straighten out the situation. I'm presently in the midst of another and if this post stays "fresh" will be glad to let you know how it turns out.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 09:29 AM
jor

Not sure what this has to do with travel, but I have used PayPal on sites other than Ebay and had no problems.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 09:57 AM

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Paypal is now owned by EBay.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 10:20 AM

Yes, eBay has acquired PayPal.

Ironically, a frequent topic of discussion on the sellers' discussion boards is the freuency of unwarranted chargebacks against them on Paypal! Yes, you can get your money back if you pay with Paypal and things go wrong.

To protect themeslves, sellers tend to rely on delivery confirmation, a good thing for both parties.

With eBay as with so many other things (including travel) reputation and word-of-mouth are very important; the key to successful buying on eBay is to understand how feedback works and to pay close attentoin to the reputation of anyone you're thinking of bidding on.

Seller reputation is key. eBay itself presents themselves as just a venue, you have no more recourse with them than you would with the operator of a flea market if one of the dealers there misled you.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 01:03 PM
Cassandra

I'm pretty much aware of the procedures reayPal and eBay, and the reason I posted it here (other than the great wisdom and wide experience of most Fodorites ;-) ) is that I've seen a number of posts telling people to check eBay to buy or sell tickets for this and that (and even FF certificates although that's strictly illegal and needs to be careful re-defined as purchasing something else with which the certs come as a gift).

What I was hoping to hear are reports like Wednesday's and ccolors' to get an idea whether the warnings about being "S.O.O.L." with PayPal are just alarmist.

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 01:04 PM
Cassandra

make that "procedures re: PayPal..." -- and also thanks to those who have responded. Any other experiences?

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 01:08 PM
Lola

A friend was going to use Ebay for selling something. They asked for her bank account number so she said nevermind. I don't think I would use them either.

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 01:11 PM

You can find really thorough discussions and explanations of all these issues on eBay's own Community Dicussion boards, where members ask questions and share their experiences.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 01:22 PM

You honestly think this has an inkling of relevance to travel?

I don't.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 01:25 PM
Lola

Since people purchase travel items and tickets on Ebay, it might be relevant.

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:19 AM

To follow up on Cassandra's question, PayPal was able to get my money back on the second transaction I was having problems with. I'm a believer now - good luck to you!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:22 AM

Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards certificates are frequently sold on Ebay. They are fully transferable and the seats are not capacity contolled like most FF awards.

Since Southwest does not allow their awards to be sold, they are given away free on Ebay when someone buys drink coupons or even a blank envelope.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 12:08 AM

Sorry Sunnybrook_Becky - this has a lot to do with travel questions.

Just look at people trying to find tickets to Yankee's game - or tickets to a Broadway show. Fodorites recommend going to ebay to find them.

My only problem with ebay at this moment is that too many people have found it. It used to be a site where you could find bargains. Actually it still is - but it seems like a lot of people are using it as a means of making a fast buck with cheap (or at least questionably) items.

But because of the tickets and travel discounts, it certainly relates to travel questions.

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 05:10 AM
xaimimgr

I had a friend who was signed up with Paypal and Ebay. She had her identity stolen with someone trying to send money via Western Union to a foreign country. Was found out to be traced back to paypal, but found out before more than $500 was taken. Buyer beware

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 06:14 AM

I used PayPal to purchase theme park tickets...but like a previous poster said, so many people are using Ebay now that there are not as many bargains...in fact, some people paid more for the tickets then if they had actually gone to the park and bought them there. Maybe something about not wanting to stand in line? I looked for about 4 weeks before finding some good prices (saved $13.95 per ticket).
I did have some reservations about purchasing tickets on line, but made sure the seller had no bad reviews. I've had no problems (so far) with PayPal, except that it keeps my husband's name as the sender, even when I log in with my email address?
As with others, I agree, just make sure you purchase from a reputable seller and be cautious with your account numbers.