Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

What to buy to bring home for friends/family?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My husband and I have just planned a very last minute, week-long trip to Buenos Aires to celebrate his 40th birthday. I am trying to quickly gather as much info as possible to plan a wonderful trip. We will be there from April 6-12 and are staying in the Ayres de Palermo hotel. I've checked the weather and it looks like it is still pretty hot during the day and maybe a bit cooler at night. From the various posts on fashion/packing it looks like I should do ok with skirts and pants and light weight tops for the day and maybe a light cardigan at night. Does that sound right?

Ok, now to my real question: What types of items should I look for to bring home to friends and family? Specifically---late 30's friends, early 60's parents and a 3 year old and 5 year old? We are getting lots of help to make this trip happen and I would really like to shower my parents/friends/children with a little love from Argentina upon our return. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have started making lots of notes of all the restaurants and sites to see that have been recommended in this Forum and everything is very helpful. Thank you!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Something traditional for the adults would be a mate' cup made from a gourd. Argentine wine. The kids would appreciate a toy of some sort.

MY
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 12:30 PM

There are a lot of things to choose from- anything leather(belts, shoes, bags, etc.), wine, a mate (pronounced mah-tay), dulce de leche, alfajores, or a juicy steak! but really, just take a stroll through any of the incredible outdoor art fairs and you should find more than enough stuff to make them all happy. let me know if you need any more advice on your trip!

Cheers!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 12:51 PM

We got carpincho wallets and belts for all my friends, dulce de leche and alfajores for the office people, and tango shoes and tango CDs for all our dance-oriented friends (that became a little expensive).
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the responses and ideas. It sounds like I should have no problem finding nice items to bring back (and buy for myself I am very excited to try the alfajores. I just baked some a few weeks ago, but I know the "real thing" is going to be so much better! And having lived in Bolivia for a year where I lived and breathed salteñas, I am very excited to try the empanadas in Buenos Aires. Can't wait!!