Search

shopping in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shopping in Buenos Aires

My family will be in Argentina over the Christmas Holiday and my kids especially are excited about the shopping. I should mention - my kids are in their 20's and love to shop. Any recommendations? Also my husband is looking for some suits, shoes etc. and I guess I also am looking for nice quality but not outrageously priced clothes.
Any suggestions? Too bad there wasn't someone to hire to take us on a spree one day to all the fun stores and flea markets.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 01:51 PM

what i recommend is going to the shopping malls, you ve got everything there but of course you need time to visit each one.
i do like PATIO BULLRICH on Libertador 700
www.casc.org.ar/shoppings/patio_bullrich
www.patiobullrich.com.ar
GALERIAS PACIFICO Cordoba and florida
www.galeriaspacifico.com.ar
and EL SOLAR DE LA ABADIA.in Belgrano district.www.elsolarshopping.com.ar

hope you can find all the things you like
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:36 AM

have a look at this page.
lots of info that you will need.

http://www.economist.com/cities/find...older=Shopping

regards,
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:49 AM

Do not expect quality items to be cheap....Lots are imported and sometimes prices are better in the USA or Europe.
Be careful when buying leather things, there is no such thing as cheap good leather things.
Be advised that men's shoes in big sizes are very rare... I wear 12, and was not able to find a pair along Florida Avenue district shopping.
Lots of women shoes made in Argentina and very nice.

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 08:04 AM

I wear a size 12 US size men's shoe and have had no problem finding the right size and the quality has been excellent. I bought from Lopez Taibo and paid alomst $100 for a great pair of dress shoes. I have found the quality of leather jackets to vary widely, but paid $100 for a very good jacket by going to the leather district, Scalbrini Ortiz and Morrillo.....There are several very good stores in Buenos Aires that sell imports from Italy or that make suits from imported fabrics that do a very good job....Hugo Boss and similar brands are expensive as Miguel suggest.....
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Hi -- just got back last Sunday from Buenos Aires and the shopping is indeed astonishing. My favorite area overall, both for shopping and waling, was Palermo Soho (a neighborhood well identified on maps). The boutiques there were very stylish, interesting, and fun, as were the neighborhood restaurants. I'm a 40 year 6'1" man with an 11.5 foot. I found plenty of clothes that fit me. I am not a natural shopper, and I did not expect to buy much of anything. But I ended up finding great quality shirts, shoes, belts, etc. in good-quality stores at (minimum) 1/3 of the cost of the same stuff here in the states. DEFINITELY seek out the Cardon (name of store) outlet in Palermo Soho. Cardon is a very upscale vendor or mens' and womens' clothes, leather good, etc. Cool stuff. There are Cardon shops on expensive streets in Buenos Aires, but the outlet was an outright bargain, and I bought 3 beautiful button-down shirts, shoes and a belt. Other unexpected finds (future grandchildren?) included very upscale childrens' clothing throughout the city at a fraction of the price you'd find in the U.S. I thought the pedestrian shopping street (Avenida Florida I THINK??) was a ZOO and full of junk. But many swear by it. The Sunday antiques market in San Telmo is also a ZOO, although it's worth checking out I suppose. The vendors in the stalls have tons of stuff, although ultimately a lot of it either looked like junk to my untrained eye or stuff I could not possibly carry back. The stores in this neighborhood, on the other hand, are laden with palatial treasures, and if you're in the market to furnish your chateau in France, these are the shops to visit. Certainly do some research on these shops first if you looking for heavy-duty antiques as shipping information, insurance, etc. will be essential. When I go back to Buenos Aires, I'll visit this neighborhood on a weekday when the antiques flea market is not operating and calm prevails. The malls were convenient in that they condensed lots of stores under one roof, and there were indeed bargains. But they were not necessarily "fun." And most of the outdoor markets were loaded with (what I thought was) junk, unless you're in the market for stained glass trinkets, cut wood toys, and the like.

You didn't ask for it, but I'm going to recommend 2 restaurants. La Bourgogne at the Alvear Palace Hotel -- if you have one serious gourmet dinner in the city, this is it. It's super-worldclass. In NYC, this meal would be $200 a head. In Buenos Aires it's $60 a head. Cabana Las Lilas -- wonderful Argentinian "parilla" which technically means "barbecue" but it's really Smith & Wollensky -- a gourmet restaurant featuring steaks and the like.

Have fun!!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Do you have the address and phone number for the Cardon Outlet? I will be back in BA next week and plan to do some shopping....Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 01:06 PM

there is a leather shop just across the street from the Marriott Plaza Hotel, which is at the foot of Florida Street. go out the front door and turn to the left on that street bordering the Marriott. It is a hundred feet or so from the front door. sorry, don't recall the name, but you won't miss it. my wife bought leather jackets for several people that fit great. she even ordered a jacket for herself that they had to make special and then sent it to her in the states. i was concerned about it, but they did send it later and it too was perfect. i believe the prices there were very good. by the way, there is a wine shop right next door to the shop and they have some great wine. if you like wine, try malbec, and the best one in my opinion is luiggi bosca. about 1992 vintage or so. but the shop there is about double the price of other shops so look for it some where else also. i did not have any problem bringing 6 bottles back into the US. Other than this rec, i do agree with patio bullrich. it is small but nice. also next to the cemetery (don't miss, it is the most interesting part of BA in my opinion) is a designer type furniture mall. very interesting and fun to walk thru.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Hi Dr.

I THINK this is the address on my receipt for Cardon's outlet in Palermo Soho: Rep De Honduras 4755 (I have to believe that's a street address, but not sure........) It's not too far from the square in the middle of Palermo Soho.

I hope this is helpful!
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 12:02 AM

Mike,

Thanks. I plan to check it out! I have been to that area at night...there is a restaurant on the same street called Dominga that I like a lot, but I have never paid much attention to the shopping.....