volcanic ash

Aug 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

volcanic ash

Is the volcanic ash still (late August 2011) a problem for domestic flights in Argentina? I heard today from the estancia we will be visiting in mid-October recommending that I change my flight to avoid Trelew airport due to ash from the Chilean volcano. I couldn't find any references to the ash situations more recently than late July. Does anyone know the current situation? We have several domestic flights in Argentina booked in late September/early-mid October. Thank you!
Aug 30th, 2011, 04:35 AM

There are several factors which are still disrupting flights in Argentine Patagonia. Although there has not been a lot of new ash fall, what is already there is very difficult to remove. Wind brings ash from the surrounding area into Trelew, so it doesn't have to fall directly on it to affect everything.

The airport at Bariloche is still not being used except by charter planes from Brazil and some Andes flights. Flights have been going into Esquel instead and passengers bussed from there. However, a flight which could not land in Esquel was diverted to Bariloche last month. Add a bit of local politics into the mix and you are left with a big question mark. And I haven't even mentioned the problems with land crossings!

What did the people at Trelew suggest an an alternative airport for you? Are flights vital to your itinerary or would you have some time for bus travel?

I am keeping an eye on it as I am hoping to get to the area in September and will post anything I find in the Spanish language press.
Aug 30th, 2011, 04:36 AM

www.insuremytrip.com monitor travel.state.gov

issues earlier in the summer no one can say for sure

odds are great you will be just fine...

But I got dinged on this in Europe with the Iceland volcano

Airlines did nothing Trip Insurance saved my bacon.
Aug 30th, 2011, 04:38 AM

Personally if possible consider flying into a major airport

and then overland for less hassle... pretty journey

Deluxe bus downstairs VIP seats are great with 2 or more

driver/guides from $100/da can make a whole lot of sense for me.
Aug 30th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

The suggested alternative airport to Trelew is Comodoro Rivadivia. We would have to do some major shuffling of our itinerary to accommodate long-distance bus trips. Basically our itinerary is Buenos Aires to Iguazu, then Mendoza, then over to coastal Patagonia (via Buenos Aires and Trelew), and finally back to Buenos Aires (via Trelew). Thanks for any suggestions.
Aug 30th, 2011, 11:52 AM

You won't have any problem with the Mendoza and Iguazu flights unless larger ash clouds form and shut airports in BA. It isn't likely at this stage. So it is really only the Trelew bit you need to watch.

I haven't taken a bus between Trelew and CR but it must be about 400 kilometers, so a fairly long bus trip. From what I have read, CR has also had to close on occasion due to suspended ash kicked up by the wind but perhaps less frequently. Will they provide land transport? The other alternative is aflight to Esquel, the only airport which has not had ash problems in the general area, and an overnight bus from Esquel with Mar y Valle buses to Trelew. It would leave about 10 pm and arrive 6 am, a much longer bus trip. They could book that for you.

Not an easy decision. I can tell you what I would do, stick to the original plan and hope for the best. There comes a point when an ounce of karma is worth a pound of rerouting!