Taking the bus to Cordoba

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to go to Cordoba for the weekend during my month in BA. (I know I should go to Iguazu, Salta et al, but I am on a budget this time and Cordoba is doable by bus). Do I need to reserve far ahead for the bus? Do I need a travel agent to book this?

I am planning on staying at Hotel Viena. It looks the best in quality for price and location.

I'm interested in Cordoba because of the weekend markets and history. I also think it wil be fun to see some countryside by bus. (I know it's at night, but it's an experience right?)
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Hi, teach2travel!

Please remind me at what time of the year you are coming. I seem to remember you are coming in our springtime.

Unless you are coming during a peak local holiday period, I don't think you need to reserve in advance and you certainly don't need a travel agent.

Tomorrow, I'll post some bus websites for you. Please remind me, if I fail to do so.
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm coming in October - the whole month. I must already be excited because I woke up this morning on BAs time. 3:20 our time is definitely too early to be wide awake!
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:46 PM

We travelled all around Argentina by bus in Oct-Dec 208 and found Andesmar to be one of the best companies.

http://www.andesmar.com.ar/shop/default.asp?lang=en

You will almost certainly be able to get a seat without booking but if you want a "Full Cama" (i.e. flat seat/bed) which I would strongly recommend then, in my experience it would be best to book a few days in advance either at the bus station or at an agent. I think you can book online with some companies if your cc will work in Argentina.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:39 AM

I believe (not absolutely sure) Andesmar does NOT do BA/Córdoba

Try this website:

http://www.tebasa.com.ar/paginas/buscador.html

October is a wonderful time to come to Argentina, teach2travel!
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad I don't have to do a lot of advance planning. I want this to be a very relaxed trip. I want to feel more like I lve in BA than that I am on a vacation.
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM

Hola teach2travel.

Glad to hear you are coming to Argentina. I moved here 6 months ago and it is treating me very well!

October is a great time to visit. The weather will be getting warmer and perfect for enjoying some of the many outdoor cafes.

I went to Cordoba 3 months ago and took the overnight bus. It left Buenos Aires Retiro (station) around midnight and arrived around breakfast time. If you leave during the day from Retiro, you may encounter some traffic delays getting out of the city.

Also, even if you are on a budget, I strongly encourage you to get the CAMA or EJECUTIVO seats = so you have a full bed on the bus. It doesn't cost much more than the cheap seats, but is definitely worth it.

Cordoba is a nice and the markets are all right. Though if you like the outdoor markets, check out the weekend market in Buenos Aires / Recoleta. The park's circular trail fills up with vendors and it is a good place for clothes, jewellery, etc. There are also some good cafes nearby, as well as the modern Buenos Aire Design shopping center.

If you have another long weekend, check out Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Vales Patagonia. It takes a while longer to get there by bus, but it is definitely worth the trip to see some of Argentina's wildlife up close.

Hasta pronto,
Myer de los Andes
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

I love the market in Recoleta. I did my Christmas shopping between that market and la Feria de Mataderos.

I can't wait to be in Argentina again.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 01:41 PM

Great! I'm glad that you liked Recoleta...i knew you would.

I'm going to check out the whales in the valdes peninsula in the next couple weeks and can't wait. they have already spotted lots of southern whales and i heard that you can even spot orcas if you are lucky!

take care,
myer de los andes
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 08:59 AM

I toured Argentina for about two months. I love the country. At the same time, Cordoba (even though it is the second largest city in Argentina) is fairly laid back. Great for night-life and museums. They also have an art market on the weekend. That being said, I'd suggest considering Mendoza. Not that much further away and you get to experience the Andes Mountains, horseback riding, vineyard tours, and Mendoza is a very cool city on its own merits.

I agree that you don't have to book ahead unless it is a holiday period.

http://alongwaysouth.wordpress.com/
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:56 AM

You dont need any of that, you can reserve your bus a few days in advance thats all you need. maybe a week at most. Here are some links to buses that serve Argentina:
http://omnilineas.com/
http://plataforma10.com/

hope that helps
http://www.wanderingtrader.com