Sacred Valley

Jul 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Sacred Valley

We are going to Peru for 2 1/2 weeks in April. We plan on flying from Lima to Cusco then heading straight to the SV (we will hit Cusco after MP). We are going to stay in Urumbaba for 3 nights but could add another night to our time in the Sacred Valley area. Do you suggest we stay there the 4th night or move on up the valley and spend the 4th night in Ollantaytambo? I just thought it might be better to stay there one night since we are taking the train out from there to MP. I don't know how long it takes to get from one village to the other so would appreciate that info. Also Is a day in Pisac, a day in Chinchero, a day in Urumbamba, and a day in Ollantaytambo too much?

Thanks for your input.
Jul 28th, 2010, 12:36 AM

We stayed in the bungalow of a friend in Urumbamba for several weeks and commuted daily to Olly and I would suggest that unless you have a specific reason for staying in Urumbamba (e.g. a specific lux. hotel) then I would strongly advise staying in Ollantaytambo. Urumbamba is a nice enough place and certainly less touristy than Olly but unless you are into local markets or there is a Fiesta on in the main square there is not a great deal else in the town itself. There is far more to keep you occupied of an evening in Olly, some good restaurants and bars and it is a far prettier town.

Urumbamba is a only a 20 min bus ride from Olly (2 soles) so it really doesn't matter that much where you stay as far as getting the train is concerned. As far as other places in the SV are concerned, Olly certainly warrants a full day for the ruins alone, perhaps more, and make sure you wander off around the side streets to see the orignal Inca architecture.

Most of the other places in the SV, Pisac, Moray, Chinchero could easily be seen in a single, very busy day (8.30am -6.00pm from Cusco)which we did see Entry 57 in our blog http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/1/tpod.html

The only place which IMO, possibly warrants a whole day is Pisac (I actually preferred it to MP). Chichero is great for the sunset and the market by the church and don't miss the interior of the church. Hope this helps a little.
Jul 28th, 2010, 04:47 AM

ditto #1

www.ollantaytambo.org the prettiest town more to do

www.casa-andina.com private collection

www.apulodge.com if budget
Jul 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Also agree - Ollantaytambo would be my choice of where to stay. Pisac ruins are fantastic. We stayed overnight there and enjoyed hanging around the square and just kicking back.
Jul 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Same. Ollantaytambo, unless you are into lux spa hotels.

Pisac is worth most of a day if you decide to walk down from the top of the ruins and spend some time around the market.

Ollantaytambo is worth a full day for the several sets of ruins & the old Inka town, small museum, and some other ancilliary hikes such as to the Inca bridge. If you are interested in hiking there are some other good excursions in the area (I wish I'd had the time to visit the weaving villages nearby).

The sites Chinchero, Salineras, and Moray can be combined in a day trip. Recommend adding a stop at the Chicha Lady, I believe it's called Descanso.

Also don't forget there are ruins closer to Cusco that are worth visiting if you aren't ruined out.
Jul 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

We were planning on staying in Urumbamba because we saw a really nice property there. May have to reconsider it after all your comments.

FYI - We will be staying in Cusco after the SV and MP. I understand you can leave from Olly but train back to Cusco. Is there a problem with baggage limitations on the train? I mean we would each have a bag and a carry on. I know we could leave our bags at the hotel and pick them up a day later after MP but will have to take them with us if we are going to train to Cusco.
Jul 29th, 2010, 12:12 AM

You are offically limited to one small bag see: http://www.perurail.com/en/tickets_baggage.php
When we took the train from Olly to AC this rule was NOT being enforced. However, I think this is fairly random. It seems that you can pay extra for a separate luggage service but not sure if this is always on the same train. We did see people getting off the train and collecting v. large packs from the rear carriage. Personally, I would not be happy if my luggage were on a separate train.