Sacred Valley Itinerary

Search

Sacred Valley Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sacred Valley Itinerary

I have a tentative itinerary for a trip to Peru in mid September 2010 and would appreciate any critiques or suggestions.

9/9- Overnight flight from Boston to Lima

9/10- Early morning arrival in Lima. Get some rest then spend a few hours sightseeing in Lima, mainly the Miraflores area. Overnight in Sheraton Lima.

9/11- Flight from Lima to Cusco. Transfer to Pisac. Spend the day in Pisac touring the ruins. Overnight in Royal Inka Hotel.

9/12- Spend the morning at the Pisac Market. Guided tour of Maras and Moray. Overnight in Royal Inka Hotel.

9/13- Spend the day in Ollantaytambo touring the sites. Overnight in El Albergue Hotel.

9/14- Take the very early (5:07am) train to Aguas Calientes. Bus to Macchu Picchu. Spend the day in Macchu Picchu. Overnight in Sanctuary Lodge.

9/15- Spend the day in Macchu Picchu. Bus to Aguas Calientes. Take the 6pm Hiram Bingham back to Cusco. Overnight in Royal Inka II.

9/16- Spend day in Cusco. Overnight in Royal Inka II.

9/17- Flight back to Lima. Overnight in Lima.

9/18- Flight back to Boston.

My main concern is transportation. I don't really want to rent a car. The only guided tour I plan on taking is to Moray and Maras and that is only because it seems like the only easy way to get to either of them. I will need transportation from the airport in Cusco to my Pisac hotel and from Pisac to Ollantaytambo. Do not want a guide in Ollantaytambo, just a way to get to the sites and then to the hotel at the end of the day. Would you suggest a taxi, a bus, or another alternative.
Also, I will be travelling solo. Not terribly concerned about safety but I want to be smart. Any areas on this itinerary or times of day that a solo traveler should avoid. I have read multiple articles recently on increased crime in Peru, mainly Lima, and I just want to exercise the appropriate caution.

Thank you in advance for any advice or information.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 12:44 AM

Firstly, here is a link to our blog with some photos and info on the areas you intend to visit.

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/1/tpod.html

Entries 55 onwards cover Peru

A few specific comments:
1. Didn't really enjoy Lima that much. If visiting again, I would try and get a flight straight out to Cusco.

2. I am not sure I would bother with staying in both Pisac and Olly. Olly makes a great base for exploring the valley and the drive to Pisac is very scenic, so on balance I think I would stay in Olly and vist Pisac on day trips (saves on time wasted packing and unpacking.

3. Maras and Moray are easily visit from Olly (you could walk or take a horse ride from Olly to Maras.

4. Chinchero is definitel worth a visit (preferably at sunset).

5. As for hiring a car - don't bother. Loads of taxis in the main square at Olly. Find one who speaks reasonable English (unless you speak Spanish) negotiate hard for a rate for the day, they places visited and get them to write the price down. Alternatively, ask your hotel to arrange (but you will pay a lot more).

6. The sites in Olly are easily walkable from your hotel. You do not need a taxi unless you are going to Urumbamba.

7. As regards safety, I feel that most of the places you will be visit (subject to the usual precautions) will be comparatively safe. Pickpockets are rife in Cusco and AC so leave valuables in the hotel safe and take care when using ATMs. Ignore anyone who approaches you in the street. There are numerous no go areas in Cusco but I seriously doubt you will have time to go any. Be very wary at the airport in Cusco with the taxis. Loads of scams going on. Make sure that the taxi you have booked is really that taxi and not someone who has just read your name from a placard outside.

Have fun, it is a beautiful and fascinating part of the world.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 05:11 AM

Taxi was cheap goes everywhere in the SV

Sanctuary Lodge not great small rooms dated overpriced

check reviews www.tripadvisor.com

go for www.inkaterra.com MP or Sumaq

only true 5 star...

Consider training into MP the night before

for sunrise visit and HP climb...

Best way to see MP...have fun
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 09:55 AM

My opinion- one day in Cuzco is not enough. Lots to see and do there. Sacsayhuaman, Tipon, Santa Dominga (Qoricancha), and more. For me, I'd say at least to give yourself another half day there.

Also, I'd suggest a stop at Awana Kanchi on the way to Pisac.

quovadis is right, Inkaterr's hotel in Aquas Caliente is the way to go for a great experience. We were so glad we stayed there instead of the Sactuary. So much to do and see at Inkaterra, the bespeckled bears and gardens and hummingbirds are incredible and food and rooms are amazing.

Chinchero on Sunday when it is market day is another "do not miss" in my book, gotta see that. Much better than Pisac market which is stalls and tables (altho Pisac had some leather good I didn't see at Chinchero). At Chinchero the very colofully dressed locals spread out blankets on the ground and lay out their goods. It is very colorful. Pisac is like a flea market type atmosphere, stalls sort of walled off w/plastic tarps away from each other, no interactions btwn the sellers, etc. Chinchero is a social, locals market.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Agree with above comments and will add -

I think the people who don't like Lima are the people who just hang out in Miraflores. You will enjoy Lima much more if you spend the entire day in Centro, and the entire evening in Barranco. Lima has a reputation for being unsafe but I was fine walking around alone at night.

I really liked El Albergue in Ollanta. Make sure that you have a steam, and have Luuc fix you a pisco sour. The town is really great, too. If you have time, try to visit the ruins where the big granary is, opposite the fortress. A fun climb.

I also really liked the Hiram Bingham from AC to Cusco.

I would be tempted to rearrange slightly. Visit Pisac as a day trip from Cusco rather than staying there. Add a day to Ollanta and a day (more, if you can) to Cusco.

I traveled by myself too, and had a great time. People are really friendly.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I'm already working on some changes. I think I'll try to get the flight straight to Cusco instead of the overnight in Lima and I'm probably going to base myself in Olly for three days and do the day trips from there rather than overnight in Pisca. I will figure out a way to fit in Chinchero and I'm also looking into the Inkaterra instead of Sanctuary Lodge.
So would Maras and Moray be feasible to walk to on my own from the El Albergue in Olly? How long of a walk do you think it would be??

Thanks again for all the great info.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM

When I stayed at Ollantay I had the hotel arranged for a taxi hire for a day. The driver drove me to Salinas, Moray and then Chincheros for the day. I'm sure it was more expensive than if I had arranged for the trip myself, but it was very convenient.

If you see a friendly black dog at the Ollantay ruin then please say "Hi" for me . She literally followed me around the site for the entire 2 hours that I was there. Wish I had dog food to give her.

I went on my own also and felt very safe. Granted I wasn't wandering around empty streets at night by myself either. You will be approached a lot in Cusco by people wanting to sell you things, mainly teenagers selling their paintings.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 08:20 PM

After being in the Sacred Valley and the Amazon for two weeks, spending my last two days in Miraflores was nice. Larco Mar is nice, safe and modern. For me it was a nice way to end the trip. I also took a 3-hour private tour of Lima. Toured the San Francisco Church which was quite interesting.