Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Want to critique my Sacred Valley/MP itinerary?

Old Jun 29th, 2010, 10:36 AM
alg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love any and all feedback…also wondering if I’m short changing the Sacred Valley or Cusco and should add another day somewhere.

Saturday
Arrive Lima, 10:15 pm, overnight near the airport (recommendation?)

Sunday
Morning flight to Cusco
Private airport transfer; Pisac and Ollantaytambo en route to hotel - I have contact info for Percy and David based on this board
Check in Tambo del Inka, Urubamba (3 nights)

Monday
Maras and Moray, Salineras, and Chinchero

Tuesday
More Sacred Valley - bike or kayak trip maybe?

Wednesday
Train to Machu Picchu
Overnight at Sanctuary Lodge

Thursday
Huanya Picchu hike
Train back to Cusco
Check in hotel in Cusco

Friday
Cusco

Saturday
Morning flight back to Lima
Tour Lima Centro
Midnight flight back to the US
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 11:29 AM

I would if I could read it? Am I the only one?
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I can read it --
I would add time to Cusco. Also Ollantaytambo is fabulous--definteily at least go there if not stay there. The ruins at Pisac are 2nd only to MP.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM

I agree with yestravel re spending more time in Ollytaytambo and Cusco. Both have a lot to offer. You could spend at least a day exploring Olly.

We stayed in Urumbamba for around three weeks & so know it quite well. it is a pleasant enough place but, unless you are intent on spending your evenings in the hotel, with little to entrance the tourist I would be inclined to stay in Ollytantambo where there are loads of choices for restaurants.

I didn't see much bike riding in the SV although there were a number of horse riding outfits in the Plaza in Olly. There are kayaking trips available on the Urumbamb river either from Olly or Urumbamba

A few photos of Pisac - http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...8980/tpod.html

PS try and work it so you arrive in Chincero at sunset - spectacular!

Cusco also has an amazing amount to see and do and again I agree with yestravel (yet again re Pisac (except that I actually preferred it to MP.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 04:34 PM

Now I can read it..this morning the whole forum was in tiny tiny font.

Ollantaytambo is not "on the way" to Urubamba, it is beyond it. Chinchero is near Urubamba, and on the way to Ollantaytambo from Cusco. Pisac is in a slightly different direction but you can detour there.

I would go to Pisac market and Chinchero on Sunday when the markets are more active. Note that you are probably not going to feel great this day if it is your first full day, is there any way to arrive in SV on Saturday? Or is a Friday flight to Lima over budget?

Go to Ollantaytambo on the Monday or Tuesday. I agree with whoever suggested staying in Ollantaytambo, BTW. Urubamba may have some nice hotels and a fairly central location but no where near as interesting as Ollantaytambo. There are a number of advantages to staying in "Olly" 1) if you're a bit pooped from the altitude you can see a little bit at a time right there in town..the old Inca Town or the ruins, and go back the next day. 2) YOu won't be needing a taxi to escape from the grounds of your hotel; some nice litte restaurants, stores and markets are right there within walking distance; 3) the train to MP leaves from Olly...so you can get up early and catch the first train of the day; 4) KB Tambo in Ollanta runs both biking and trekking tours from town.

www.http://www.kbperu.com/

The intangible is that Ollantaytambo has an absolutely spectacular setting.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 07:38 AM
alg
Original Poster

Thanks all! I will add a day to Cusco.

We can also arrive in SV on Saturday and relax the first day so we're ready for Pisac on Sunday. I checked tripadvisor for hotels in Olly, and honestly none looked that appealing. I don't need super luxe, but we do like a few amenities.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:17 AM

Try El Albergue or Pakaritampu. El Albergue has an excellent restaurant. Apparently they are upgrading the upstairs room.

What amenities are you missing, a spa?.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM

We stayed at Pakaritampu and it was fine -- not super luxury, but very comfortable. Not sure what amenities u r looking for. If u stay there ask for a top floor room as the hardwood floors can be squeaky.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM

We did a similar itinerary in April - two nights in Urubamba, one night at Sanctuary Lodge, and two nights in Cusco. We arrived in Cusco in the afternoon and were driven to the SV as the sun was setting. We loved our stay at Hotel Sol Y Luna in Urubamba because it was a beautiful setting, excellent food, and centrally located so the drive one morning to Pisac was not too long and then the return from Olly later that same day was also not too long. Olly was not relaxing from what we saw and after a long day of touring the ruins it was great to relax in a beautiful setting. I posted a trip report for our time in Galapagos and Peru - it's long but if you wade through it you can read what we did. (http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...fect-combo.cfm) Remember, this was in April when the train situation was still in flux. We were coming from an active week in Galapagos and I bet we are a few years older so the quiet setting of Sol Y Luna was important to us.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Jeep if I am mistaken please correct me but you spent all of two hours in the late afternoon in Ollantaytambo. This is a much different experience than spending the night, as it would be anywhere. In the morning and evening you will enjoy the peaceful nature of the small town, visit the ruins without the tour busses, and enjoy watching the porters and Inka Trail hikers arrive. Just a completely different experience than staying in a resort setting. But that is why they make both types of accomodations. One for the tourist and one for the traveler, as they say.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 08:14 AM

We had an almost identical itinerary on our recent trip. A couple of points:

In Lima stay at Ramada Inn at the airport across the street from the terminal. It is expensive, but very convenient. On the night of our arrival the Ramada was full and we did not have a reservation, so we asked for alternatives at the airport's info desk. They gave us a list of nearby hotels and suggested one - hotel Caribe for $45US (the only three star hotel on that list). Huge mistake - one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed. Plus the waste of precious rest/sleep time on taxi to/from hotel.

It is true that when compared to Urubamba Ollantaytambo is a much nicer and much more picturesque town, but we loved our stay at Tambo del Inka in Urubamba. Tambo del Inka is a beautiful and luxurious place with very nice accommodations and great views of the river and the mountains. You can walk to the center of town (about 5 - 10 mins) where there are some restaurants. Also the Seminario Ceramic workshop is just a couple of blocks away from the hotel and is definitely worth a visit.

As you probably know, to climb Hyauna Picchu you will need to get a special stamp on your Macchu Picchu ticket (limited to 400 stamps per day). The line forms very early right outside the Sanctuary Lodge and all in your party must be present with their individual tickets. We came out of the hotel at 5:35am and there were at least 200 people already in line (mostly hikers from the Inka trail and the town below). Around 6am we got our tickets stamped and then went back to get breakfast at the lodge. The breakfast is a sit down affair and takes a while so by the time we came out the sun was already up. If I did it again I would first go see the sunrise at MP – it opens at 6am, and then return for breakfast.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM

If you don't get the stamp for the hike up Huanya Picchu (it looked pretty scary) then hike to the Sun Gate. No stamp required. If you go to the Sun Gate for sunrise you will see a beautiful view of MP wiht HP in the background, and will also see hikers coming thru the Sun Gate from the Inka Trail in time for sunrise. Takes 1 hour max.

Also, the ruins by Pisac are quite something.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 10:53 AM

I think which town to stay in may depend upon your choice of accommodations if that is the primary importance. There are not resorts in Olly. The hotels are very nice, but not super luxury. I remember trying to decide where to stay when we did our trip and in retrospect am very glad we chose Olly, which as stated is a delightfully charming town. We visited Ura and thought the town not particularly attractive.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM

HI All, I will be in Cusco soon and I planed to stay 2 days on the Sacred valley before start The Inca trail hike.
I just sow this Post and the comments and now I am not sure where to stay, according to Yestravel Ollantaytambo seems to be the best option but also i would like to have an advice about Urubamba.

Thank you yestravel and everyone for all the comments in this forum.

Thanks again
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:38 AM

I'll agree with a stay in Ollantaytambo. We stayed for 4 nights to see the SV and just get a feel for local life. It was actually a pretty good town for that. Any walk around the backstreets is quite interesting in my opinion and with the cobbled streets and water channels, feels like an authentic look at life. I think I enjoyed as much for it was as I did Machu Picchu.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM

thanks!!!
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM

We just returned and I also recommend the Ramanda at the airport. I used a AAA card discount so the room was $169 plus tax. The included breakfast was good and being able to roll my suitcase just across the street and get some sleep was well worth the extra money. The hotel was clean and they really tried to be helpful.

We stayed at the Kumi Rucchi in Uramaba and I liked both the place and location. Being in the middle of the sacred valley was good because we could drive to each location and it was not such a far drive. Ollytambo had a lot of construction and a big traffice jam when we were there was we were glad we were in Uramba instead.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM
alg
Original Poster

Thanks all for the additional insight. This is an anniversary trip so I'm leaning towards Tambo del Inka but will certainly check out your suggestions in Olly as well. Would it be dumb to break up the trip (2 nights at Tambo and 2 nights in Olly)? That would mean more checking in and out, but we could experience both the resort area and the town?? I do like the idea of being able to walk to dinner after a day of sight seeing.

And I will definitely prebook the Ramada!
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Maybe if you did Urubamba (2)
Aguas Calientes (1)
Ollantaytambo (2)
Cusco (2)?

You may want to relax and enjoy the hotel in Urubamba on your first day and schedule a light activity. Put off visiting the high altitude Chinchero-Moray-Salineras for your way back from Ollantaytambo to Cusco (they are on the way).
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM

I don't think so -- I do it often and don't think it takes half a day to chang ehotels and check in as many people seem to think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information