Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Quick question about bus service in Patagonia...

Old Dec 18th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I have been reading various threads and trip reports about this area for years now and am finally planning a trip for this coming March.

I have a quick question about bus service vs driving. We are trying to get from Puerto Arenas to El Calafate. I have heard that renting a car is extremely expensive and our local travel agent is suggesting that a private transfer will also be expensive.....close to $700 for three people. I am fine taking the bus but am traveling with two 70 year olds. I just want to make sure that the bus service is safe and comfortable given the length of the trip.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this. Thanks so much in advance!
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 01:37 AM

Hi, Samins!

While I have never done this trip, these websites could help:

http://www.interpatagonia.com/puntaa...ollegar_i.html

http://www.todocalafate.com/english/...tion.php#Buses

It seems it takes about 6 hours to get from Punta Arenas to Río Gallegos, a stop and then another 4 hours to El Calafate. A total of 605 kilometers.

Long distance buses are mostly pretty good in Argentina.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 02:58 AM

Years back was a long slog but scenic no recent personal experience,Distances are vast flights best despegar.com
argentinaforless.com wowargentina.com COOTRANS offers
downstairs full/semi cama seat best 9 hours to Puerto Natales, and some 5 hours to El Calafate.Agents are
great above to advise I always try to fly long legs in
SA if I can did 5K on buses up north SA in the fall
can get pretty dodgy and dreary.

Happy Travels!
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 03:01 AM

wikitravel.org/en/Puerto_Natales
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 03:19 AM

I think Sky goes in there from SCL might try to make that
work they have code shares with Taca.com others good personal experience from LIM to SCL $99 saved a lot.Typo on bua time above should be 3-4 not 9.Sometimes in the past and last fall did well hiring a driver/guide from $35-50 USD per half day direct cut out all middlemen.If a fairly savvy traveler might work well for you.

www.saexplorers.org/clubhouses/buenosaires best info/DCs
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 03:42 AM

Buses go from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales, about 2.5-3 hours. From there you take another bus to El Calafate. This one takes about 5-6 hours, but there is a border crossing at Cerro Castillo and the time spent there is difficult to calculate in advance. One company from PN to EC is http://www.turismozaahj.co.cl/.
These buses are almost impossible to book from abroad but often your lodging can help. There will be lots of buses between Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales.

As you can see, it is a long day. As AV has posted you could also go via Rio Gallegos which might be shorter, but I am unfamiliar with the details of the route. His links should help.

Renting a car is an option but, because of the border crossing, special papers have to be drawn up adding to the cost. The car must be returned to Chile.

Are you not going to Torres del Paine? There are tour companies which offer a pick up there for going to El Calafate. This bypasses the need to go from the park to Puerto Natales to get a bus, so is much quicker.

A private transfer is an option but, as you have seen, they are horribly expensive.
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Hello! Thanks so much for all of the great responses. I have looked at some of those websites and a few were new to me which was great.

Our issue is that we are landing in Arenas (from Fjords cruise) on March 24th and need to check in at the hotel in TDP on the 26th. I did not want to stay in Arenas for these days because we will be coming back this way after TDP. I really wanted to see the Glaciers but don't know if it is worth going up there for what will amount to just one day in Calafate.

So opinions please! Is it worth a day of driving to see the Glaciers and do one of the hikes up there and then another day of driving to get to TDP or is there enough to see in the Arenas area to fill two days prior to TDP and a day an a half after??

Also, the agent who we are working with is out of Buenos Aires and says that the drive time should be 5 hours. I am guessing that this is by private car as opposed to bus. Does this seem right to any of you.

Thanks again! You all are wonderful!!!
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 08:31 AM

Just do the Glacier Grey cruise in TDP
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 08:38 AM

Another option is to go via Ultima Esperanza Sound and/or Rio Serrano into the park.

Turismo 21 de Mayo does the cutter on
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 08:41 AM

woops finger slip

you can browse Comapa's website for packages, they are one of the big operators on the Chilean side

www.comapa.com