Search

Peru: Planned tours or self itinerary. active couple

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru: Planned tours or self itinerary. active couple

Hello,

We're planning a 10 day trip in early July to Peru. Like the convenience of these planned itinerary tours to Cusco, Sacred Valley, MP etc.

Just wondering if they are geared more towards retired folk or for all ages?
We're an active couple in our late 30s. Not looking to whitewater raft but also not get off a tour bus at each stop to look at churches for 9 days. We both hike and are photographers etc.

Do these tours allow for some "Do your own thing" time etc and are there any suggested companies you all recommend? My research on the forums suggests "Peru Best Tours" are good.

Thanks

Craig
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 05:11 AM

adventures.worldnomads.com/destination/168/itinerary/23.aspx

prefer personally to self guide for freedom flexibity cheaper

casa-andina.com great hotels at great prices.

Mike at Perubesttours.com

Nina at ancientsummit.com

Harriet/Susanne at latinamericaforless.com

all good cost a bit more.

find my cheapest flights FLL to LIM on spirit.com

$239 RT all in for me over a year ago probably more now

cruzdelsur.com.pe best bus hop on and off on your way.

Happy Planning!
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 08:59 AM

Yeah probably double now on the Spirit airfare.

Self-guiding worked out fine for me. You can hire guides at the ruins, or bring a guidebook. Others have hired a personal guide for a day or two for touring the SV, but you can also just use a taxi.

Trains, flights, hotels are easy to book yourselves.

If you are reluctant to self guide, then private tours will cost you, but are best for flexibility.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 09:16 AM

Can I please butt in here? I'm looking for the same advice.. but I'm a retired woman travelling alone. I wandered around Argentina for 6 weeks on my own.. Would Peru be comparable as far as safety on my own? I do not want to spend a fortune, but also don't want to stay in a dorm in a hostel. I'm looking to do a budget trip, but not bare bones.

Craig, it sounds like going on your own is the way to go. Good luck with your planning. have a great time.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM

Hi kodi, I am the same as you. I had no troubles in Peru, people are for the most part friendly but at the same time you need to be aware of your surroundings and not do anything silly like walk alone in a dark alley late at night. I met plenty of people either single or couples that I shared rides, meals and conversations with. A friend who only travels in groups liked the OAT tour.

You can review my trip reports for ideas. In Lima I highly recommend Second Home Peru.

http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...ip-to-peru.cfm
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 11:02 AM

I am also planning a similar itinerary for this july. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids but love and prefer to travel independently rather than in a group guided tour. I am having a lot of fun fixing hotels, trains and day trips by myself with the help of forums like this !
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 11:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
A great private guide is David Choque. He will tailor any number of days and places to your likes. we used him for some of our excursions in Peru. We also traveled on our thruout Peru.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Another great private guide is Percy Salas. We used him for a couple of days in the Sacred Valley. Went to Machu Picchu on our own. Took a bus to Puno/Lake Titicaca, and did an overnight homestay on one of the islands using AllWays. For us, it was the perfect combination of having someone to look after us and get us places, plus a lot of independence to do what WE wanted without a big group.

Check out my trip report for details (click on my screen name and you'll see the link for it.).

Karen
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys. We are excited and are looking into all these guides.

Craig