Patagonia 2 Week Itinerary - Guidance

Old Nov 6th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patagonia 2 Week Itinerary - Guidance

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to go to Patagonia next March and have pulled together the following rough itinerary, based on a lot of previous threads here and further research:

Day 1: Fly London to Buenos Aires (overnight)

Day 2: Fly Buenos Aires to Bariloche (no time in BA, connect in airport)

Day 3: Bariloche (FULL DAY: activities TBD)

Day 4: Bariloche (FULL DAY: activities TBD)

Day 5: Fly Bariloche to El Calafate (HALF DAY: choose between Perito Moreno Glacier, Upsala and Spegazzini glaciers, Laguna Nimez Wetlands, Petrified Forest)

Day 6: El Calafate (HALF DAY: choose between above again). Bus to El Chalten with Bus Turismozaahj (17.00)

Day 7: El Chalten (FULL DAY: choose between Mt Fitz Roy, Laguna Torre, Pliegue Tumbado, Viedma Ice Trek)

Day 8: El Chalten (FULL DAY: choose between above again)

Day 9: El Chalten (ALMOST FULL DAY: choose between above again). Bus to El Calafate with Bus Turismozaahj (17.00). Overnight in El Calafate.

Day 10: Bus to Puerto Natales with Bus Sur (08.00). Bus to TdP NP with Bus Marajose (14.30) > Catamaran to Camp Paine Grande

Day 11: TdP NP: Paine to Refugio Grey, to Paso, Back to Grande Paine

Day 12: TdP NP: Paine to Camp Italiano, to Mirador Frances, to Los Cuernos

Day 13: TdP NP: Los Cuernos to Camp Chileano

Day 14: TdP NP: Camp Chileano to Mirador of the Towers, to Hotel Las Torres. Bus Marajose back to Puerto Natales (14.30). Overnight in PN.

Day 15: Bus to El Calafate with Bus Sur (07.30). Finish off any above activities did not do before.

Day 16: Fly to BA (08.15). Fly to London (14.15)

Any overall comments would be hugely appreciated. Specifically I'd really appreciate feedback on the following:

- I am not a very experienced hiker but have some experience, so will be staying in Refugios in TdP. I will be solo but hoping to make friends en route/join in with or follow other hiking groups. Am I being deluded, or is this safe/feasible?
- I will be traveling in March. Everything I read suggests this is shoulder season and a fine time of year to go, subject to being prepared for unpredictable weather - is this accurate?
- I have cut out Ushuaia and Puerto Mardyn (despite wanting to go) as I think it isn't feasible. Instead I have fit in Bariloche. Is this choice wise or is there a better place to replace it with?
- Bariloche will cost me another £600 - is this really worth it or should I skip entirely?
- I haven't factored any time to see BA as I'm not so bothered about cities. Is this a big mistake?
- Finally, it is getting very expensive! Is there anything I could do differently to cut costs?!

Thanks so much in advance - I really appreciate any guidance you can share.
Carly
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed the scenery around Bariloche. Your time in El Calafate seems very cut up. I think you need at least one full day.

Click on my name for my Patagonia TR.