patagonia itinerary?

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
patagonia itinerary?

We are planning a trip to Patagonia and Buenos Aires for early Decemeber and are lookign for feedback on this potential itinerary. Are we trying to do too much or does this seem feasible?

Day 1 - BA
Day 2 - early flight to Trelew; drive to Gaimen and Punta Tomba
Day 3- Peninsula Valdes / Whales
Day 4 - early flight to Calafate; go to Estancia Cristina / Glacier Uspala (stay the night at estancia)
Day 5 - estancia and head back to Calafate; stay in Calafate
Day 6 - Perito Moreno Glacier; stay in Calafate
Day 7 - Head to Torres del Paine (stay over)
Day 8 - Torres del Paine (and then back to Calafate in the evening)
Day 9 - flight back to BA
Day -14 BA

we are most concerned with timing in Calafate/TDP...does anyone have recommendations or advice on this?
thanks so much.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 07:17 AM

You need to look at distances...and also flights. I don't think there are any direct flights from Trelew - Calafate, you might have to fly back to BA and make a connection.

Also, the bus ride from Calafate - TDP is over 5 hours, we've been to TDP, it's worth at least 2-3 nights, I would choose one or the other. Have not been to Calafate (next trip), so can't comment on the glaciers there, but the TDP was magnificent.

For 14 days I would probably not want to do more than 2 other locations than BA.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Figure the bus from El Calafate to TdP to be about 5 hours each way. This includes the time spent at the border crossing. Make sure you book a bus that goes directly to TdP from El Calafate, as most go to Puerto Natales instead.

It is an awful long way to go for just an overnight. I'm trying to think what you can do in that time - you probably have time for a couple of dayhikes and perhaps a bus ride through the park. Are you staying at one of the hosterias? One of the difficulties is getting around in the park to visit different areas, and generally, the hosterias offer activities during the day with transportation.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 03:37 PM

In January we did BA, Bariloche, Calafate and TDP. Calafate is worth 2 nights, Perito Moreno and Upsala Glaciers are great but that's it. The highlight is TDP, save as much time as possible. We took the bus to Puerto Natales, it may well be possible to take a bus direct to TDP from Calafate but I did not figure out how. Although it's a 5 hour ride it's rather patagonia scenic. Research your TDP plan, where you will stay and how you will get around in the park. However, if you really only have 1 night for TDP I don't think it's worth the effort. Go to El Chaten instead, it's close to El Calafate by bus and I hear it is worthwhile.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM

Torres del Paine needs more time.

How about instead going north to El Chalten and spending the night and seeing Mt. Fitz Roy. It is a shorter bus ride and you'll have more time for activities.

Or if Torres del Paine is a must, suggest you cut out the Estancia or only go to one Glacier instead of two and add time to Torres del Paine.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all of the great feedback. If we were to stay in TDP for 2 nights, any recommendations on where to stay?
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM

The Hosteria Las Torres is nice but pricey, in January for 3 people it was $300 per night, right near there is a nice looking refugio which I would have probably chosen had I known about it. We also stayed at the Refugio at Lago Pehoe, which was nice and clean (The refugios are what I would call a youth hostel). Most important thing is to read and plan your TDP trip and your hike route. Nice thing about Las Torres is you can hike to the Torres which is one of the must sees. But again, TDP requires time to really enjoy, it's special.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Hoyas -
it sounds like you did a trip that was similar to one I am planning. Can you tell me -
1. how long you had total?
2. how long in bariloche
3. did you do fitzroy from el calafate?

we hae 17 days, and like hollie614, are trying to figure out what is best. ours loooks like this so far:

Day 1-3A
Day:4-7 Bariloche
Day 8-11: El Calafate/El Chatlen
Day 12-16: TDP
Day 17: back to BA and home

I think this is still cutting it too tight. Not sure what to give up!!
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 05:50 AM

I think your itinerary is fine, maybe save BA for the end, fly in, spend one night, then head to Calafate the next day.

I just had another idea, from Calafate, take the bus to the TDP, spend a few days there, then fly up to Puerto Montt for one night and do the one full day lake crossing to Bariloche. It's a fabulous experience. After spending a few days in Bariloche, it's an easy flight to BA. Then spend your final few days in BA.

Our first trip was 17 days and we did similar w/Iguazu and Ushuaia thrown in (did not see Calafate).

I highly recommend you use a local travel agent for your trip. There are many recommended, we've used Mercedes at Argentina Escapes for both our trips and they have been perfect.