Passport number to book Peru hotels/flights?

Old Jun 4th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passport number to book Peru hotels/flights?

Help! We're planning a trip to Peru in late September. We've purchased our international flight tickets, are in the process of purchasing our train tickets to/from Machu Picchu, and have just started to look at reservations for hotels in Peru and internal flights within Peru. But, one of the reservation forms for a hotel in Cusco requires you to provide your passport number, and one of the comments I've seen says that you need your passport number to book internal flights within Peru as well. Is this true? If so, we may be in trouble, as we've just applied for our passports, and I'm guessing it will take at least a month (probably more) to receive them. I'd hate to have to wait to book hotels and internal flights until we get our passport numbers.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM

It's true. Use your old passport number (or make up one), then give them the correct number later.

Also, once you are in Peru keep the little piece of paper your are given at immigration handy. Hotels can waive the tax on your room if you present it.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 01:28 AM

I really would not worry about it.
As lcuy says, give your old number for flight bookings that is a valid passport at the time of bookingand advise new no. (if necessary at the airport/immigration/check in). I had to do this as just before departing on a one year trip, I realised that I did not have enough pages in my PP and so applied for a new one a few days before departure.

I was never happy about providing passport numbers for booking hotels, mainly for reasons of identity theft etc. so I invariably changed a few digits or completely made one up. It was never a problem during 5 months in South America. To be extra cautious just take your old passport with you as well as the new.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 05:30 AM

if u have an old passport # give them that

if new app expedite your processing and wait

to book...

pmexplorers.com culturalimmersion.org

good agents who can book u if needed till then
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM

I asked my hotel in Aguascalientes to pre-buy our Machu Picchu entrance tickets for the next morning and I was told we have to do it once we are there as they need the ORIGINAL passports on hand !!
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Thats true Fabio. But I don't think they limit entry to Machu Picchu (only Huana Picchu), so you can have the hotel do it the night before.