Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Palermo Soho or Palermo Hollywood in BA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like some guidance/opinions about the advantages and disadvantages of these two areas. We like a quiet area with easy access to good restaurants, nice walks, interesting sights, shopping and transportation.
I'm considering Duque Boutique Hotel in Soho and Fierro Hotel Boutique in Hollywood. All comments welcome.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 07:48 AM

A general observation about these areas: Palermo Soho and Palermo Hollywood are different areas within Palermo Viejo, or old Palermo. Both areas have undergone gentrification in the past decade, from a decaying, older neighborhood to "in spot" for trendy restaurants, shops, boutique hotels and such....The process is not complete in either zone, but it is further along in Palermo Soho than in Hollywood. What this means in a practical sense is that there are more darkened, spooky blocks in Hollywood...important if you plan to walk after dark...

The Duque is sort of on the fringe of Soho....once you cross Scalbini Ortiz the neighborhood takes on a different feel....you should like this since you prefer a quiet area....but it is close enough to the restaurants and shops on Malabia and other nearby streets that you will find it easy to walk most places. Buses and the subway can be found on nearby Santa Fe street...and Scalabrini Ortiz has a lot of bus and taxi traffic....

Not sure about the specific location of the Fierro, but I would ask lots of questions about the immediate area around the hotel...for the reasons I mentioned earlier.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Dear Dr.: you're just the info medication I need. Perhaps you can suggest other hotels in Palermo Soho that are more centrally located. When I mention quiet, I mean I don't want to hear traffic noise when I'm trying to sleep. Our budget allows for about $225/nt. We like big rooms with big bathrooms, small hotels with wonderful staff, good breakfasts included, can be modern or traditional style. Am I seeking the impossible?
I will write the Fierro asap. Muchicimas gracias
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 01:04 PM

We have just gotten back.. Palermo Hollywood is just restaurants at the moment..Soho has restaurants and ALOT of shopping..There seemed to be quite a bit of boutique hotels around there. It was a nice place to eat and shop though!
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 01:51 PM

We stayed in Palermo SoHo and at night some spots were a bit sketch, but then if you kept walking then one would find larger gatherings of tourists and locals enjoying the restaurants. In the end, when it would be late at night, we just took cabs back. And we stayed at the Palermo SoHo hostel, which was imbedded in a cute neighborhood street, very quiet, and we had our own private room with bathroom so didn't have to share with other hostel dwellers.

In the daytime it was easy to walk around, and especially to go to the main thoroughfare merely blocks away and go to this big park where lots of feral cats lived (shamed the Hemmingway House in Key West and that is saying a lot), and continue walking down the avenidas to very gentrified areas that were quite posh.

If I recall correctly, Palermo Hollywood was closer to more parks and the larger avenidas, a bit nicer.
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 09:47 PM

I liked soho. did you try vrbo? I paid a lot less than that when I went.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM

Robbie, what about the Glu, another small boutique in Palermo Soho. My brother and his wife stayed there for 10 days last December and they loved the rooftop patio and the location.

http://www.thegluhotel.com/en/location.html

It certainly seems within your budget.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM

I stayed at the Fierro last Nov when it first opened and it was fabulous. Stayed in one of the rooms that ovelooked the garden with a patio. Wonderful gourmet restaurant on site, breakfast included. Was comfortable walking in daylight by myself and was ok at night when I was with my man friend. Wouldn't do it alone. Lots of restaurants within a few blocks.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Is the Glu Hotel in the center of Palermo Soho? What are the boundaries of PS? The Duque is on the edge of the area and the Fierro seems too far afield. Any other recommendations?
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 05:58 AM

You might explore The HOME HOTEL http://www.homebuenosaires.com/

And, in Recoleta, we loved staying in the Melia Plaza Recoleta, a small, very well located (and safe neighborhood) where the place sounds like Tango and the breakfast is good. The rooms(rooms not too large, but fine)and public spaces were cheerful; the staff were wonderfully helpful - it was our first BsAs visit.

~Marnie
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Zanne, another posted suggested that the immediate area around the Fierro was a bit sketchy. It sounds like you felt safe when accompanied?
Checking on Home. I'm also reading about Palermo Botanico. Having difficulty locating small hotels in that neighborhood. What are its boundaries.
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 04:19 AM

I do not think you will find much in the way of hotels in Palermo Botanico. Palermo Soho is more likely - and very near to it.

~M