Only 3.5 days in Salta

Search

Only 3.5 days in Salta

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2024, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only 3.5 days in Salta

We will be going to salta from 4/4 to 4/7. We originally planned a bit more time in Salta but decided to leave a day early in order to catch the nonstop flight so now we only have 3.5 days. I'm wondering if we should focus on the Jujuy region only (visit Purmamaca and Salinas Grande) or try to go to Cafayate as well. We are not wine drinkers so would it still be interesting to go? The drive is just so long. We are interested in the Salta region for the amazing landscapes, regional culture and food. We were also interested in doing some horseback riding too if there's time. Does anyone have advice?
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have travelled in that region several times over the years and whichever you choose, it will be spectacular. Does 3.5 days mean 4 nights there? Do you plan on spending any time in Salta city? Are you renting a car? All of which could have a bearing on your plans especially as I see you also plan on going to Iguazu.

My preference would be to rent a car and do a mini road trip from Salta to Cachi via Parque de Los Cardones and stay one night there. From Cachi down Ruta 40 to Cafayate is one of my all time favourite drives. Cafayate is famous for its wines but that is not the only reason for going there. Great food and some of teh nicest hotels in teh regions ( even worth staying at one of teh vineyard en if you are not into wine. From there back to salta is another interesting drive with some great rock formations etc along the way. Yes, the drives are quite long but there is lots of stunning scenery along the way.

Purmarca is a nice village with teh Cerros de Siete Colores literally on the doorstep. Tilcara is close by ( but a little touristy) Salinas Grande is amazing and second only to Salar de Uyuni.

Here is a link to our blog with lots of photos of all of these places https://accidentalnomads.com/categor...ica/argentina/

Be aware when planning, especially if going on to Iguazu, that Argentine airlines are very fond of changing and cancelling flights, often last minute.