MicroPur tablets for Inca trek?

Old Apr 29th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MicroPur tablets for Inca trek?

Hey! Has anybody out there used MicroPur tablets for the Inca trek? Our trek company recommends them, but the travel RN I just spoke with was unfamiliar with them and suggested something different for water purification that was fairly costly and inconvenient to pack on a 4 day hike. Can I get MicroPur easily once we are in Cusco? About how much will the tablets cost? Thanks!
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:01 PM

I don't know whether you can buy micropur in Cuzco but I brought some with me from the UK on a RTW tripwhere the only cost a couple of pounds (didn't use them once). I don't know why your trek company is suggesting that you bring them as they should take sufficient water with them for the whole trek. When we were there we heard some horror stories of trek companies running out of food AND water whilst on trek. Check out your company carefully. The SA Travellers club is a good resource if you are there for a long time.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 05:03 AM

We finished the 4 day trek on 4/1/09(used Llama Path who was wonderful!). We carried a 2 stage water purification with us, but did not need it as we were provided plenty of boiled drinking water and warm water to rinse off with.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM

I would definitely purchase a pack of micropur tablets from REI or someplace just to have. My husband and I went to Peru last October and brought a pack with us. I think we only used it a couple of times because our company, Wayki Trek, boiled water for us and had plenty of water for us always. But, it's good to have just in case.
I agree with making sure you have a solid trekking company. We lucked out with an amazing company with a really incredible guide who was an official, licensed guide with the government. Some of the other guided treks we came across on the Salkantay trek did not have official guides with them, so they were not as knowledgeable. I would inquire with your company to make sure you get an official guide (this isn't an issue if you are going on the Inca trail hike as that trail is government regulated and all guides need to be registered with the government).

Have fun!
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
P_M

I did not take any purification pills because our tour company boiled water for us daily. I would be very surprised to learn some companies don't do that. I used GAP Adventures and I highly recommend GAP.
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Our trek company does provide boiled water whenever we stop for meals, but they suggest the tablets I guess in case you need a refill before the group stops again.