Search

Water in Peru

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2015, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in Peru

I was told to not drink water and bring my steripen water purifier to purify water in Peru. Is this correct?

Also if purifying water, does that mean I should avoid all uncooked veggies and fruits? Just trying to keep healthy on this trip and avoid whatever may be in water!
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:14 AM

If you can only drink purified water there you don't want to eat raw fruits and veggies that have been washed only in non-purified water except those that can be peeled for example oranges and bananas.
Old May 14th, 2015, 07:35 PM

You can buy bottled water everywhere, and should use it. I mean every street corner in virtually every small town sells it.

Many restaurants especially in big cities know about food hygiene and have sources for fruit and veg that reduce your risk of fecal contamination. But if you don't have a good feel for general hygiene, follow the usual precautions. I avoid fruit salads if I don't know how and when they were prepared/ Someone has touched them and who knows how long they've been sitting unrefrigerated. Not crazy about rice dishes as it's a great medium for bacteria.

Better to minimize self-service buffets and wash your hands regularly. If you do go to a buffet, sanitize your hands after serving yourself, or use only utensils rather than hands to pick up food.

That said I have traveled and eaten at local places (carefully) without illness. Although it is also a good idea to bring some PeptoBismol tabs, immodium, and cipro for emergencies. I've heard that half of tourists get a touch of something.
Old May 30th, 2015, 07:20 AM

lol, mlgb .. Immodium is the first thing I pack nowadays .

Funny thing happened when we moved back to the US from Argentina, the water upset my stomach for the first couple of weeks.
Old May 30th, 2015, 06:46 PM

Stick to beer. cusquena is far safer than water . Stick to bottle water which as mlgb has pointed out is available everywhere. You need to keep hydrated at altitude and personally, I would not rely on a steripen.

FWIW we spent several months in Peru mostly eating at markets and small restaurants and I cannot recall ever having a problem. That included drinking the wonderful, freshly prepared juices from the market stalls. Just take the usual sensible precautions you would anywhere. Hand sanitizer is always useful to keep with you.