Meeting place at Machu Picchu?

Old Apr 30th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meeting place at Machu Picchu?

This is complicated, but Iíll try to make it as clear as possible:
Iím traveling with my Mom on a NatGeo tour in Peru, my husband is traveling at the same time, but with a local company, as he wanted to hike the Inca Trail and neither of us did.

We are arriving at MP May 16th, spending the night at the Belmond (the one next to the entrance) and have the morning of the 17th to explore as well. Hubbyís trek says Ďarrive at MP at 6amí on the 17th as well, returning to Cusco the same day (as are we).

My my question is: where does the Inca Trail Ďendí? Weíre wanting to meet up, even if just for an hour, but Iím a bit confused as to where we might be able to do so... Does the Inca trail end inside the MP entrance? I wish I had more info but his travel docs are very simple!

Iíve been reading my two guidebooks and am just confused! Iím not great about imagining things until I can see it in person. Like Angkor Wat made zero sense til I was on the ground then voila! All those maps made total sense.

Thanks! Sorry if this is a totally stupid question!
Old May 1st, 2018, 04:46 AM

It isn't a stupid question. I know just what you're talking about as it was confusing when we did the trail. Unless things have changed (unlikely) the hikers come into Machu Picchu well above the visitor's entrance. They will likely take some pictures as there is one place that hikers stand on with most of Machu Picchu visible behind them. The hikers then go down a long set of stairs to the visitor's entrance, where they reenter the site "officially". You should be able to meet your husband at the visitor's entrance. It is not a large area.

The one issue may be timing. Perhaps your husband could ask his tour company approximately what time the group will be at the visitor's entrance. They may arrive at MP at 6 am but they may only get to the visitor's entrance 45 minutes later. There were a lot of people lining up to take pictures before we descended to the entrance.

You can see on the attached that the IT enters the site mid-left with the visitor's entrance down several terraces below it.

https://www.machupicchu.org/machu_pi...sector_map.htm

Last edited by xcountry; May 1st, 2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old May 1st, 2018, 07:33 AM

Ideally you could all meet at the Sun Gate when and where they enter, but I don't know if the regulations will allow him to wait for you and/or you for him, or if you could even be sure of an exact time. With the new one-way controls on the main site, I don't think you can back track, but you can reenter. So, pick two spots, one inside the gates, somewhere between the Caretaker's Hut and Sun Gate, and one outside, I think finding him near the main entry will be harder than inside your hotel. You should ask his guiding company if he will be required to exit with the group? If so you may just want to meet him inside the hotel lobby or your room. The hotel used to have private dining for their guests, so that's another option. Also, can both your mother and you handle walking up to the Guardhouse aka Caretaker's Hut? If yes, then heading even part way up the trail from near the Guard house to the Sun Gate/Inti Punku hopefully you won't be hassled to move along, but an exact time will be difficult, i.e., he could already be out or could be hours delayed? Here is another site showing the sign to th Sun Gate ( about 1.5 hours to hike there one way at a reasonable pace).

https://theonlyperuguide.com/peru-gu...te-inti-punku/
Old May 1st, 2018, 09:43 AM

Also, some of the Inca Trail tours actually end in Aguas Calientes and the hikers take the bus up like everyone else, not inside Machu Picchu (not all hikers hike all the way up). So just check on it.
Old May 1st, 2018, 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=sf7307;16722523]Also, some of the Inca Trail tours actually end in Aguas Calientes and the hikers take the bus up like everyone else, not inside Machu Picchu (not all hikers hike all the way up). So just check on it.[/QUOTE

Interesting..how do they get back to Aguas Calientes without exiting through the citadel?
Old May 1st, 2018, 11:26 AM

I guess the return bus. I'm not sure really. We hiked for 6 days, but ended the hike in Aguas Calientes, not in MP.
Old May 1st, 2018, 12:43 PM

Best to ask the guiding company if you can. Unless it's one of those one or two day tours, I understood that many of the groups have to exit first which I always assumed meant they used the main exit, not hiking all the way into town. At some point stored luggage is returned and usually there is a tour of the site included afterwards.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 07:16 AM

I agree with asking the company leading your husband's hike. We did the classic 4D/3N Inca Trail hike and entered through the Sun Gate. I don't remember the time; it was light but fairly early (we had to get up at 3 am that last morning). We then made our way down from the Sun Gate and then exited through the main gate, where we had about an hour to store gear, get a bite to eat and use the restrooms. Our group then went back into the citadel for a tour. As noted above, other types of treks are different.

I believe many/most of the tour organizations do a briefing the evening before the trek, so your husband could ask that question directly of the guide.
Old May 4th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

I checked, my husband is actually doing the Lares (sp?) Trail, and is spending the night in AC the night before- so hopefully it'll be easy to meet him at the entrance at 6am!

Thanks for your help, it never would've occurred to me that a hike wouldn't 'end' inside MP!!
Old May 5th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Woops! Not quite the same! Probably easiest if he comes to your hotel room, if you are planning to go to MP together.
Old May 10th, 2018, 08:27 AM

Arrive at sun gate

Just returning from MP a month ago, the Inca trail come from the Sun gate, while you enter from the main entrance. You could meet in the sun gate, but it is a long walk from the entrance. Better to meet at the "guardian tower" which the Inca trail has to pass in order to see MP itself, and it is only 10min from the entrance.