Search

Hiking Trip to Machu Picchu

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 09:32 AM
Megan

Hiking Trip to Machu Picchu

Has anyone hiked to Machu Picchu? I'd love to get some advice on what it's like. Is it worth it or does it make more sense to take the train? How long does it take to hike to the top? Would really appreciate any information. Thanks!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:27 PM
Richard

I was at Machu Pichu last April. I didn't hike to it but met several people who did and they thought it was great. You get to see ruins that you can't see be train. I think it takes about 5 days and you should go to Cusco several days before to get used to the altitude, which will bother you. I hope this helps. PS Machu Picchu is wonderful.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:54 PM
Megan

Thanks so much, Richard. How long were you there? Did you go with a tour group?

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:20 PM
yes

I hiked the Inca Trail in December and it was unforgettable and incredibly beautiful. Highly recommend going with SAS located in the Plaza in Cusco. It took 4 days, at your own pace (i was very slow) and the longest day had 7 hours of walking. Seeing Machu Piccu at sunrise from the sungate was sureal. It's not the easiest thing I've ever done but the most rewarding. If you have any more questions please feel free to e-mail me.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Gilbert

If you're pressed for time, there is an overnight Machu Picchu trail hike that I would recommend. Basically, it means taking the train from Cuzco up to one of the mile markers. <BR><BR>3 friends and I did this in mid-March last year. You climb at least 1,500 feet and pass through the last leg (best section) of ruins. Also, you'll be much happier than the 3-day hikers who seemed very worn and tired. You get to see the highlights without the boring sections of the trail. Watching the sunrise at the top of the mountain overlooking the ruins is surreal and stunning. Would be happy to tell you more about it!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Kelly

Gilbert! - You're just the man I've been looking for!<BR><BR>I have read about this possibility, but haven't encountered it on any tour operator sites. I believe you hike from KM 104? this would be perfect, as I'll be going with my 13-year-old, who would never have the patience for a week-long hike.<BR><BR>How did you arrange this?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Gilbert

Hi Kelly:<BR><BR>We arranged the overnight hiking trip in Cuzco in person, 2 days in advance, with an agency just off the main plaza. I believe this information was available in the Lonely Planet or Rough Guide to Peru... can't remember the name of our guide, but there are several reputable hike organizers who compete with one another. <BR><BR>If you're staying in Cuzco at a hotel, they should be able to help arrange this popular hike. We stayed at a well-situated B&B just west of the main plaza. If you can stay close to the main plaza, it's more fun and you're closer to restaurants, museums, and the daily markets. Would definitely recommend the overnight hike especially if you are pressed from time! Has anybody else out there taken the overnight Inca Trail hike to Machu Picchu?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:41 PM
davarian

Hi Kelly<BR>doing the one overnight Inca Trail (what is called the 2-day Trek) is a great way to experience Machu Picchu without being on a strenuous hike. It is a fairly easy one-day walk, you spend the night near the ruins (or you can arrange a hotel) and then visit Machu Picchu first thing at daylight.<BR><BR>Since last year there have been major changes in the regulations for the trail, amoung other things you now have to be with a licensed guide.<BR><BR>the regulations, description of the trail trek, and a list of operators is at peruperu.com<BR><BR>have a geat trip!<BR>dav

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Kelly

Excellent. Thanks so much to you both.