Search

Last Minute Packing for Peru

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Minute Packing for Peru

Hi Travelers!!

I've posted a couple of times as my fiance and I prepare for our trip to Peru. I haven't been out of the country much and its my fiance's first international trip (we are SOO excited!).

We are getting ready to fly out Wednesday and the last minute excitement, nervousness and preparation has begun! I wanted to see if any of you had recommendations or tips on packing. Is there anything you would suggest we defintiely have with us (I'm thinking of things to include in a first aid kit or other easily overlooked items)?

We will be in Lima, Cusco, Arequipa and MP.

A couple other last minute questions-
- It was recommended that we get A LOT of vaccinations and medications (malaria, typhoid fever, yellow fever, hep. A, etc.). I feel like some may be a little unnecessary. Any tips of important vaccinations?
- What is the best way to handle money? Should we mainly bring and deal in cash or is using a card better? Also in your experience, is it best to convert money at banks, or get it out of ATM's?

Any help or advice on any or all of these questions is much appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM

If you are leaving on Wednesday you have left it VERY late to consider vaccinations - probably too late for some but get it sorted NOW! I am not a doctor and you really should seek professional advice, however, IMHO typhoid is a must as is Hep A. Both could be done before you travel. Malaria should not be a problem see http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/desti...laria-map.aspx . Yellow fever is a good one to get and essential to visit some countries if travelling from an infected area (not sure about Peru) it is expensive but good value as it lasts for 10 years.

Take some cash in USD but the ATM system is pretty good. FX Rates and charges really depend upon your own bank. Take more than one card and advise your bank in advance where and when you are travelling otherwise your cards may be blocked.

Take care around ATM machines (don't flash your cash!) Use machines INSIDE banks if possible.

Have fun - its is a great part of the world. Make sure you post a report when you return
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 10:24 AM

If you are leaving wednesday, it is probably too late to get the vaccinations you need. We got Yellow fever, Hepatitis, and Tetanus boosters.

Best way to get money is out of ATM machines. Make sure you call your bank in advance; otherwise they might close down your card. I highly recommend taking 2 different ATM cards and keeping them separate. if one doesn't work or gets stolen you'll still be able to get money.

I always bring some cash on my trips (and keep them in my money belt, not my wallet). One of our hotels gave a better deal if we paid in Dollars, while all the others gave a discount if you used Soles instead of credit cards. Many of the banks (in Cusco and Lima at least) had huge lines, so we gave up on exchanging dollars for Soles there pretty quickly. T
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Forgot to mention that you should also ensure the standard vaccinations are up to date - measles, mumps, rubella, and especially tetanus
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM

AS far as things to take with you: I find a head lamp or good mini-flashlight very useful. I always take a concealed money belt (not the type you wear around your neck though), and a purse that I can hold snugly under my arm for my non-valuables.

Pack Immodium for travellers diarrhea (over the counter), and some Cipro-type antibiotics (prescription) in case the immodium doesn't work. Sunscreen is good, and mosquito spray or wipes are a must, especially if you will be in areas with Malaria, yellow fever or dengue fever. Deet based ones work, but Picaridin based repellent are just as effective without the DEET.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM

mdtravelhealth.com Peru for info

too late for your jabs will not take effect

malaria pills only for deep jungle for me

not needed in Cusco or on the Gringo Trail at all

Adjust SLOWLY to and respect the altitude

consider Diamox prevention if rapidly flying to Cusco

11000 ft easy to get very sick...

Biggest risk the Attack/Revenge of Atahualpa

(travellers diarrhea) Cipro Immodium in my travel ket for that

Bake it Peel It Boil It or Leave it.

Drink only SEALED(bottle water) check seal carefully

I carry capitalone.com Visa taken widely no freign fees

and back up $10 an $20 USD

in my money belt no $50s or $100s lots of counterfeit

ATM money change BIG BANK only.

Most forget and some regret www.quotewright.com insurance

comp best from $1 pppd usually Patriot for me.

lots of issues with strikes theft cancellation lost luggage

so you will be covered for all that...

Congrats!
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Way too late for vaccinations. I agree with Immodium and Cipro, having had a looong night in Cusco myself.
Aspirin, Tylenol, Pepto, bandaids, moleskin, wipes and hand sanitizer, antibiotic ointment and something like Pedialyte to rehydrate. Drink plenty of water, drink or chew coca, take your time at altitude, Enjoy!
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the advice. I really dropped the ball on the vaccinations and completely forgot about looking into it until someone asked me about it last week. I am going to try my best to get to a doctor Monday or Tuesday to see if I can get anything. I've got the basics (Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Tetanus)but after doing some reading and getting advice from a clinic nurse I am now really aware that I should definitely have more.

Thanks again for the tips, money and packing advice. We are really excited!
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 10:10 AM

I'm a counselor in a travel clinic, so here's a very quick rundown on Peru:

It is NOT too late for Hepatitis A vaccine; Hep A has a long (about 28 days) incubation period -- so while it takes your body 7-10 days to make antibodies, it WILL make them before you could possibly get sick. You can get this on the way to the airport and still be protected.

This is NOT this case with typhoid; you'd won't get much protection from this shot (no time for the longer-lasting oral vaccine) until a week into your trip...and, even then, it's only about 70% effective. But risk of typhoid is not as high as if you were going to the Indian subcontinent or SE Asia. Just be careful about what you eat or drink: bottled water, no ice, no raw salads or vegetables, peel your fruit, well-cooked fish/seafood (okay, I do give a dispensation for ceviche in one of Lima's fabulous ceviche restaurants).

You do NOT need Yellow Fever vaccine or malaria pills for the itinerary you listed above.

Do ask your doctor about adjusting to the altitude, especially if you are spending time in Cusco BEFORE going to Sacred Valley/MP. Most important thing to do in high altitude is drink LOTS of liquids; those who get into trouble at altitude invariably are not drinking anough (bottled) water. Have a fabulous trip -- you'll love Peru!
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 05:31 PM

You aren't going to the jungle, you don't need malaria and yellow fever.

Do however bring insect repellent and wear long sleeves and pants when you visit Machu Picchu, as there may be sandflies which can result in big red bumps and itching if you are allergic to their saliva.

I did a one tab of Pepto Bismol a day as a preventative for stomach upsets which seemed to work. About half of visitors to Peru get some tummy bug. Cipro is commonly prescribed but a lot of things are now resistant to it. It's better to try a day of not eating much and if it settles down then you don't take the Cipro.

Bring hand sanitizer and two toothbrushes, don't use tap water for brushing or rinsing.
Old Aug 14th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Oh, and when you are high altitude the sun is really strong. I never wear sunglasses at home but really wished I had some at Cusco. Sunhat and sunscreen of course.

Shoes should be sturdy enough to deal with uneven and possibly slippery steps.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions! You all definitely gave me ideas of things I otherwise would have overlooked. I think I'm finally totally and completely ready to go!

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to post on this forum... it is so incredibly helpful!

Enjoy your travels and adventures all!!!