Last Minute Hotels/Campsites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My significant other and I are flying into Santiago December 17 and flying out the 30th. We have rented a 4 x4 truck. Our plan is to drive to Pucon then San Martin de Los Andes then Bariloche then Puerto Montt and hopefully explore Chiloe and then make our way back up to Santiago.

We like to be flexible when we travel and just find places to stay as we go and to mix up some camping and some hotel stays. We are outdoorsy people so we like to plan around the weather. I am a bit concerned though since I assume this will be a busy time of the year and campsites and hotels may be full. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We did a very similar trip a few years ago but in Oct Nov and over quite a long period and had no problem finding accommodation because we had the flexibility the time allowed. Even then we really struggled in Bariloche where we ended up staying in what later turned out to be an old people’s home!!

For this Dec I would book NOW. IME , you may still be able to retain some flexibility by booking refundable stays through booking . Com or similar. Not sure about campsites though. Probably v busy too given the season. There is a DE on the TripAdvisor Argentine forum that does a lot of campervanning in Argentina and would know more ( ReisseBeate is their name)

BTW loved Pucon and San Martin. Very tempted to stay a lot longer in both.

Last edited by crellston; Oct 22nd, 2023 at 10:47 PM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, Bariloche can be difficult, especially if you hit an unannounced holiday weekend. When the accommodation I had booked turned out to be sub-standard I went round checking other places. I did find a very nice room, but I also had to check quite a few places to find anything available at all.