Lake Titicaca Question and Cuzco Question

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Titicaca Question and Cuzco Question

Hi - any feedback on these tours would be appreciated.

Lake Titicaca - Day trip to Taquile Island and Uros Island vs taking a catamaran to Sun Island

From Cuzco - Are the Moray Terraces and Maras Salt Mines worth it
From Cuzco - is going to Pisac on a non market day worth it....how bout Ollantaytambo - Ollantaytambo sounds fantastic.....

Thanks for your insight...
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 08:42 AM

Both Maras and Moray are fascinating and worth it if you're interested in history and archaeology. The terraces descend down to an incredible depth and the salt mines are still in use today. For a twist on the usual tour, consider taking a bike tour between the 2 sites. It's not too difficult and a fun thing to do if you're an active traveler.

Pisac on non-market days is worth it, especially if you want to visit the ruins above the town. Machu Picchu aside, the ruins here are really amazing and rival those at Ollantataytambo.

And yes, you're right about Ollantaytambo. Definitely fantastic. Take some time to hike up the ruins, but also explore the town (it's an original Inca city continuously inhabited since the 1400s) and hang out at a cafe on the plaza for some great people watching.

Happy travel planning!
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Great, thank you!
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:48 PM

We arrived in Ollantaytambo after a trek and liked it so much we stayed for a month! it is a great little town with lots to see and some nice places to eat and sleep. If you have the time to stay a night or two do so as it makes a perfect base to explore the rest of the sacred valley. Maras salt pans are walking distance from the village (horse rides can also be arrnged from the main plaza).
I actually preferred Pisac to MP and would be happy to visit mid week when it is less crowded.

A day on Lake Titica is amazing, if a bit like a theme park in some places. A hike around Taquile is a nice way to spend an afternoon and the best way of getting to Puno from Cusco is via the Inka Express which follows a spectacular route accross the altiplano , stopping and numerous palces of interest en-route.
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 07:06 AM

Lake Titicaca - We did a two-day trip to Uros, Amantani and Taquile where we stayed overnight on Amantani. All three stops were fantastic. Highly recommend seeing Uros and Taquile.

Moray and Maras are both worth seeing. Moray was one of our favorite sights during our entire trip. If you hire a guide, they will take you out on the salt pans and show you how it works.

It's almost always a market day in Pisac. But even if it isn't, the sight is really great.

Ollantaytambo is also a very impressive sight.

All well worth seeing!
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Great, thank you everyone....so I'm sold on Moray, Maras, Ollantaytambo... the bit of help I need is deciding between UROS, Tequile (we can do both)...vs Sun Island in Boliva...thoughts?
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 09:27 PM

Visa fee for Bolivia.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 09:26 AM

We considered the Sun Island, but in the end, felt it would be best to do it when we had more time to spend in Bolivia since we'd have to pay for a visa. We did the Uros/Isla Taquile combo instead. I'm providing links to my posts on this day if you want to take a peek.

http://2totravelperu.blogspot.com/20...-los-uros.html
http://2totravelperu.blogspot.com/20...a-taquile.html
http://2totravelperu.blogspot.com/20...ds-part-2.html

I join everyone else in saying Moray, Maras, and Ollantaytambo are definitely worth the time. I have posts on those places as well; you can get to any of them from one of the provided links.