Itinerary help in Chile

Dec 26th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary help in Chile

My sister and I are going to Argentina (primarily Buenos Aires) and Chile in late February and early March for my sister's 60th birthday. We have just over 2 weeks in total. Our plan is to spend approximately 7 days in Chile.

Based on our early research we are thinking of spending about 3-4 days in Santiago (presuming one day trip from there) and then a couple of nights in Valparaiso. Where else would any of you suggest in central Chile that would be worth a day trip or a couple nights outside of these two locations?

My current thoughts (with admittedly not enough research) would be either to spend time south of Santiago (winery tours,etc.) or north of Valpo. Is La Serena worth a visit? Is the Elqui Valley worth a night or two to enjoy the scenery and perhaps a visit to an observatory (keeping in mind that my sister has a bad knee and can't do much in the way of hiking)? Is it worth going to Isla Damas to see the Humboldt penguins etc.?

Any ideas are welcome!
Dec 27th, 2013, 10:57 AM

You would find everything very crowded until the last day of February when everyone disappears and school starts! Most Chileans holiday in February and the last two weeks are a favourite time.

I think the Colchagua valley, well known as a wine valley, is a nice area anyway. If you spend a night or two you can enjoy the wine and the area. Santa Cruz is the main town and there are places to stay there and in the surrounding countryside.

La Serena and the Elqui valley are also possibilities, though the Elqui valley is very hot in summer. If you like the heat, it is a nice destination.

You could also go further south as the weather should still be very good.

Valparaíso is a walking city. Most people stay on the hills, especially Alegre and Concepción, and your sister may not find it friendly terrain. There is a lot of up and down. Bear that in mind. Have you decided how you are going to get there and where you would stay?
Dec 28th, 2013, 10:09 AM

Fly south to Puerto Montt and rent a car to drive Puerto Varas, lakefrornt, volvanoes, beautiful spot.
And/or drive north of Valparaiso to Zapallar, similar to a small Santa Barbara. Beautiful beaxh and delicious seafood.
Dec 29th, 2013, 08:38 AM

We were in the lake district early March and had clear skies and sunshine.
Dec 29th, 2013, 01:06 PM

Note that the weather is going to depend a lot on which part of the lake district you are in (plus a bit of luck). The weather in Pucón can be still fine but Puerto Montt is a good deal further south and has different weather. Still, you could be lucky with the weather.
Dec 30th, 2013, 06:28 AM

we've traveled Chile in the spring (fall in Chile) and had excellent weather throughout. A little rain in the Andean lake district, clear everywhere else. Crowds everywhere seemed to have dissiapated. Driving the Pan Am is usually light traffic and a good road with proper signage.
Dec 31st, 2013, 05:43 AM

dissipated
Jan 14th, 2014, 02:25 AM

Chile is wonderful. I'd suggest doing a wine tour around Maipo region or flying down to Patagonia which is stunning. The lake District is also worth a visit.

I wouldn't waste 4 days in Santiago - it's an ok city but the rest of Chile is amazing.