Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Hurrah! I've just booked my trip to Chile!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to much help on this forum and others, I'm now booked to go to Chile in July/August of this year.

I'll be flying into/out of Lima, actually, as I'm going to the rainforest for a weekend first (Explorama lodges out of Iquitos) and then on to Santiago, Easter Island, and San Pedro de Atacama. I haven't got nearly enough time (and I will be SICK of airplanes by the time I'm done) but I am so excited for the chance!

I'll be in Santiago from Monday to Wednesday, then fly to Easter Island until Saturday; fly out Sunday to San Pedro (via Calama) and return--to Disneyworld in Florida with my family--on Friday. (American Airlines had a pretty good price Miami to Lima.)

I've got Chilhotel in Santiago booked, and Mana Nui Inn on Easter Island tentatively; I'm still in the air about where to stay in San Pedro, but Atacama Wellness Lodge looks very interesting! (It's a bit pricey for me, but it is all-inclusive and the trips sound wonderful...maybe I'll just eat more Ramen for a while...)

Oddly enough, my flights were cheaper by NOT buying the South American Airpass! I don't have that one figured out, but hey, it's all LAN flights one way or t'other, so hopefully it'll all be good.

Any advice or suggestions for my quick trip to Chile gladly accepted.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 03:20 AM

WE stayed at Tierra Atacama and liked it very much; the excursions are incredible.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM
P_M

That sounds like a great trip. The rainforest was the highlight of my Peru trip, and I've always wanted to see Chile and Easter Island. I flew LAN and it was fine. Bon Voyage!!
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Amy
Original Poster

Well, now I've got all my lodgings, but I have a few questions, too...

1.I'll be staying first in Chilhotel and would like to do the Human Rights Legacy tour with CHIP tours; the problem is, I am not getting an answer when I send a query to the info@chiptravels
email address. The reservation form online keeps sending me back to fill in things I've already filled in. Anyone have a good idea on how I can arrange for the tour, or should I have the hotel arrange it for me?

2. I'm staying in Te'ora on Easter Island, in the Iti cabin; I'd love to hear from anyone who's been there, especially re: the "outside kitchen".

3. Between Easter Island and Calama, I'll be staying overnight in the Santiago Hyatt (free on points!). I've arranged for the hotel to take me to the airport in the AM, as the flight's quite early, but as they want $35,000CP per trip I was wondering about the best route to there (Las Condes neighborhood) FROM the airport on Saturday evening. (My flight is due to arrive at 7:45PM)

4. And I've *gulp* booked Atacama Wellness Ecolodge! It's really not a bad deal at all, it looks like, for lodgings/transport/food/tours for three days; just a biggish chunk o' change to put out all at once. What were your favorite Atacama tours?
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:34 AM

1. Contact Authentic Chile. They do a better human rights tour.
www.authenticchile.com [email protected]
2. Can't help you
3. From the airport you can book a taxi on arrival at the desks inside the customs area, Taxi Oficial or Turbus' Radio Movil. It will cost about 18,000 pesos to the Hyatt. The fares are fixed rates and you do not need to tip. You can book your return to the airport with them if you want. They are there at any time of day. Don't get a taxi from one of the men wandering around outside customs.
4. Laguna Cejar, El Tatio geysers, you can have a look at some of the tours available here:
http://www.sanpedroatacama.com/excursiones-int.htm
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Amy
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I really appreciate all the help you've given.

With San Pedro de Atacama, it's just an embarrassment of riches, so hard to choose...I do wish I had more time there as well as in each place I'm going, but I'm so happy to be going in the first place. Chile's been a dream for a long time, and one of these days I'll get to travel to the south, as well, I hope. (But it's a little tough when my only possible travel time is June/July/August.)
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM

If you're traveling solo you might check the Transvip shared shuttle service from Santiago airport. They have a terminal right by the luggage, there's another company there as well.

On the way back I think I'd do a taxi though since they want too much time for the pickup.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Amy
Original Poster

Thanks!

Huentetu, it looks as if Authentic Chile only does a half-day tour; what do you like better about their tour? I was thinking of the full day one from CHIP, but if you think the half day is enough and that AC's is significantly better, I will definitely listen.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:50 AM

I think the half day is enough. The reason I mention their tours is that your "guides" are all history, anthropology, architecture graduates who know their subject and are able to give a really in depth tour. Don't worry, they are cute too!

CHIP is OK and if you are happier with a whole day tour, then they are perfectly respectable.

I went on a tour in Valparaíso last year with a visiting friend because she did not want to go alone. The tour was very entertaining but the guide was making half of it up. He had some really good stories but he wasn't really sure what he was showing people. I guess if you didn't know either you would be fine with the tour. I just think people deserve more respect. Unfortunately more and more of that sort of tour is turning up in Chile.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Thanks, Huentetu. I really do appreciate having guides who know their stuff, rather than ones who are making it up/giving people what they think they want to hear. (that is to say, knowledgeable is a lot more important than cute. )

I usually don't do tours, actually, but with my very limited Santiago time I thought it might be a good idea. (And it looks like I may not have time for Valparaiso, sadly, as I have only 1 1/2 actual days in Santiago.)

The full day CHIP tour includes Villa Grimaldi site, lunch at the Central Market (I think) and the Pinochet center, so I guess I'll weigh the pros and cons (including the price--gulp--more than double for the full day tour) and decide.

Thanks again for the added info!
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:31 AM

Regarding #2 - Spring for the larger ocean view room Te'ora Ra'a. Private kitchen, ocean view from the bed, nice sized veranda. Sounds like you opted for the least expensive choice Te'ora Iti. I saw it and it is most definitely cozy. It is all the way in back with no view, and barely room for luggage. For the extra few $40 or so dollars per day, it is SO worth the better room. The outside kitchen is just that a small kitchen located between the two buildings for your unit since there isnt space in yours for a kitchen. The other 2 rooms have indoor kitchens which are more fully equipped.