How to pack carry on only to Peru

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Lima, Cusco, Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu in late April to early May. I would like to bring a carry on only, but have never attempted to do so with what seems to be such a wide range of temperatures. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do the cities tend to be a bit more cosmopolitan? Anything I HAVE to bring or should leave home? Any advice would be welcome!
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Layers and high tek or ultra light down jacket and vest that packs into its own pocket. Thermal arms and legs. Zip off pants. Worked like a charm in the varied climates we experienced between Denmark, France, SA, Bots, and East Africa.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 10:54 PM

We spent six months in South America last year with carry on bags only and would never go back to checking in bags. Here is a link to my packing list
http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...ry-on-only.cfm

Next time I will take even less stuff. No real need to dress up even in the more expensive restaurants in Lima ( unless of course you want to). If travelling for a few weeks you could scale back on the number of items as it is easy and cheap to get laundry done en route.

Our trip covered just about every variation of weather you could think of from -18c to 30c. And we got by just fine. Totally agree with sdtravels re layers to cope with the wide temperature variations.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'm definitely taking a North Face Triclimate. Was thinking of taking a few pairs of jeans and a pair of Nike Hyperwarm leggings to lounge in and to layer under jeans if needed. I live in Chicago, so I do understand layering. Everything I'm reading says you can be pretty casual, even in Lima.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 04:39 AM

Are you hiking or just doing general touring and sleeping in hotels?

That time of year and given your itinerary you are not going to have a huge range of temperatures, basically coolish to cold overnight ( Cusco) and not too much rain.

Weather in Lima will surprise you, it is like San Francisco in summer with overcast to heavy fog. If the sun does peek out it would be good to have a light weight top underneath. Everyone wears jeans but I don't like them as travel or hiking pants as they take too long to dry.

Bring sunscreen, sunglasses, hat and comfortable shoes. At 9000 to 11000 feet elevation and near the equator the sun is brutal.

Immodium and PeptoBismol, Advil or Tylenol. Bug repellent for Machu Picchu (won't need it elsewhere).

If you haven't had a flu shot I would get one.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

We are not doing any hiking, just tourist-y stuff. We will be taking the train up to Machu Picchu. I don't want to stand out too much, but don't want to look grubby either. Kind of looking for a casual, yet stylish but functional look... and in a carry on. Lol, maybe I should add rainbows and unicorns to my packing list.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 12:04 PM

There is no need to to look stylish, if anything that will make you stand out and be a target for the various hustlers and hasslers that frequent tourist areas. Dressing down is really a better idea. They are used to tourists in the fine dining establishments, maybe you will be hidden away but you will not be turned away.

T=shirts, any kind of warm jacket, jeans and stylish athletic shoes are just fine and pretty much a uniform among Peruvians. A warm scarf is useful as are gloves and a warm hat, I'm sure you have those but they are also fun to buy in the markets in the SV or Cusco (and will likely NOT be alpaca unless you go into an upscale store in Cusco).

I will usually wear black microfiber pants and a dark knit top with a nice scarf in Lima. The pants are long enough to cover the ugly shoes. If you have a pair of lightweight slip=ons that pack flat, they can work for dinner if taking a taxi.

BTW Lima is a hub of garment manufacturing, especially fine cotton knitwear. There are a few shops in Lima that carry remainders of name brand t=shirts & polo shirts (La Quinta is one). But you have to look for the "export" sizing..otherwise the standard sizing is for juniors!
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

mlgb, thank you so much for the advice and for pointing out the target aspect, that is a very valid point. I guess it would be better to pack light and purchase as needed once I'm down there!
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 03:41 PM

A dark merino wool sweater or mid=layer is another of my must bring pieces, forgot to mention that.