Appropriate clothing for Peru trip

Old Aug 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appropriate clothing for Peru trip

Hi guys. The family is < 2 weeks away from leaving for Peru. I'm trying to figure out what to bring for clothing... We are from Northern CA so we're fair weather types. We'll be spending a few days in Lima (which I understand is like San Francisco - cold), a few days in Arequipa where we will be checking out the city and maybe some villages, then to Cuzco where we will do some hiking, check out some villages, etc., then off to Olly where we will take a day to go to MP and hiking around the ruins around there.

Question: will it ever be warm enough to wear shorts or should we leave those at home? How cool will it get in the evening, are we talking sweatshirt or jacket?

Thanks all for the support everybody...
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 03:59 AM

www.weather2travel.com Peru Climate guide

lots of variability

Lima kind of like SF CA fog some sun shorts

might work on the coast but are generally

not worn except by tourists.

Cusco/Colca/Arequipa chiller down to almost

freezing at night in the mountains so I pack layers

a pair of cargo pants warm GoreTex rain jacket with hood

just in case som light GoreTex hikers if trekking...

www.cutteradvanced.com for sand flies and

Diamox to prevent altitude illness I am good to go..

Have fun,
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Great. Maybe we'll each bring a pair of shorts just in case but aside from that we're packing for fall type weather in CA. Thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 08:35 AM

Yea, unless you are going Amazon I think you can keep the shorts at home.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM

IronBenderII - We were in Peru at the beginning of August. We found Lima to be a lot like the weather in SF - drizzly and chilly. In the Cuzco area the mornings and nights were cold but the days got pretty HOT!! We were in MP for 2 days - one moderate and one HOT. I'd say pack a pair of shorts or 2.
Winter gloves, scarves, hats were not necessary for us - but we didn't go to Arequipa.
Bring fleece sweatshirts and l/s and s/s t-shirts.
Most days our attire was jeans, l/s tee, short sleeve tee and then fleece. As the day got hotter we removed a layer.
We had such a fantastic trip - enjoy!!!

Don't forgot sunscreen and bug spray and pepto!!
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Long pants are better for sun & bug protection. If you wear shorts at MP BE SURE to use insect repellent. The sandfly bites can be ugly if you have a reaction.

I would bring the zipoff pants if you must have shorts but I don't think you'll want to unzip.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:17 AM

You are traveling in their early spring, just before rainy season. I'd highly recommend jeans or slacks for the whole trip. I took one pair of shorts, wore them for 2 hours in the hotel room. I'd recommend a wind breaker or other water proof jacket. You can take off layers, but if they are all wet it is unpleasant. Also make sure everyone has a hat, the sun in the Andes is unforgiving.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM

Yes Sunglasses and sunhats and sunscreen!
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:53 AM

I coudn't read when are you coming to Peru, it will help me to advice you better.
For Lima, you were right is like San Francisco,Cusco a is cold at night but during the day it is hot! Arequipa is little better than Cusco (warmer)
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM

I too will be traveling throughout Peru in 2 weeks, from Sept. 17-Oct. 2. From temps I've been watching it appears Peru has had unusually cold temps for this time of year. The only place I may need shorts is when we're at Posada Amazonas in the jungle.

As regards bugspray, is it readily available to buy once we get to Peru? The DEET content of bug spray in the US is very low. I'd rather not have to pack it if I can get it there for a reasonable price.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 12:00 PM

I wound up bringing a few 3oz containers of the pump spray DEET in my quart bag. I also had a 3 oz cream, and had sprayed a few outfits with Sawyers permethrin for the jungle. I highly recommend a mosquito head net and a bandana if you are going to the jungle. The head net is cooler than a hat, and the bandana helps with the sweat! In the jungle it was shady enough that I just used my hat for a fan when walking. I wore it for sun protection when we were on the rivers. You will want a hat for the Sacred Valley/Cusco where the sun is very strong.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM

You can find high-percentage DEET in sporting goods stores. But some people say you don't realy need 100% anyways.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:24 PM

100% Deet should never be used directly on the skin. We took a bottle with us for a v.long trip to save space and diluted as and when needed. 50% is the max concentration that should be used directly on the skin.

mlgb's suggestion of a head net is spot on! I really wish wI had had one when hiking in the deserts of Australia. The flies were a real PITA.