Peru Packing Advice

Old Oct 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru Packing Advice

Hi all,

I leave next week for Peru and even though I've looked at the weather forecasts I'm nervous that I am unprepared. Should I expect rain? I've planned on packing a couple pairs of shorts, capris and a pair of jeans along with t-shirts, a fleece and a rain jacket. Anything seem off base? Appreciate the help!

Jana
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM

I've never been to Peru and can't help with the weather-related stuff, but thought you might be interested in how I pack for my trips. It's #15 here:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...entid=0&from=1
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Where in Peru are you going?
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in Lima, Cuzco, Sacred Valley and Puno. Thanks again.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Lima is pretty much always in the 60s due to its unique microclimate. It will be probably be overcast, but it rarely ever rains. You'll be chilly and also feel out of place in shorts or capris. Women dress up more there than in the US, and I can't recall ever seeing a Peruvian woman in capris. I generally wear slacks with a sweater or a shirt and blazer.

The high in Cusco at this time of year is in the high 60s and the low is in the 40s. It is the beginning of the rainy season, so bring a rain jacket (e.g. windbreaker). Due to the altitude, the temperature changes dramatically as the sun goes down. The temperature in MP will be similar, maybe a few degrees warmer. When there, I wear jeans or cargo pants, a long sleeve t-shirt and a jean jacket or fleece for the mornings and late afternoons/evenings. Everwhere in Cusco and the Sacred Valley is very casual. Make sure you take and use sunscreen with high SPF even if it is overcast or raining.

Can't tell you anything about Puno as I've never been.

I think you are taking too many shorts and not enough pants or cargo pants, and too many t-shirts and not enough long sleeves.

Don't miss Alpaca 111 or Illaria (silver). My favorite Peruvian stores. There are three Illaria in the international concourse if you don't make it to the big one in Lima. The Alpaca 111 in the mall across from the JW Marriott is probably the best one.
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Oh, last time, it was raining the day we went to MP, and my waterproof baseball hat was a godsend. They have nice ones at North Face.

Also make sure you have sturdy walking shoes. And a small backpack is also good to take. You can't buy water in MP, but you'll want some with you. And you can use it to carry your sunscreen, fleece, etc.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:06 AM

I like to pack really light and love wicking, "microfabric" pants, capris, and shirts (a t-shirt or 2 plus a couple short sleeved button-ups, short and a long sleeved one. They are really great whether you're traveling in hot places or cool places for comfort and have the added advantages of being light weight and drying extremely quickly, important for light packers because we tend to pack less and wash things out occasionally. I never take jeans or cotton t-shirts anymore. More "technical" clothing costs more than cotton sometimes but lasts well. I buy from online outlet sources; if you're interested I'll post links.

Can't wait to hear about your trip! Happy trails!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the help and recommendations. Exactly the help I needed. I'm off to re-do the packing list now!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:25 AM

I'm in Peru now. The coast is going through a real cold snap because of the La Niña weather phenomenon. Lima is never that warm, as hills27 said, but everyone says it is chillier than usual this season.

Farther inland (Cusco, Sacred Valley, MP) it's raining, although I've been lucky: The days are clear and crisp and it seems to start to rain about 8 or 9 each evening and rain much of the night. (It poured last night here at MP.)

That's this week. The forecast is for more of the same in coming days.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jeff. Let's hope some of your luck carries over to my trip!
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:06 AM

It rained for about an hour yesterday afternoon. I figured it was a good time to have lunch. By the time I finished lunch, the rain had stopped.

No matter what the weather, Peru will be amazing. Have a good trip.