help with a quick trip to Peru!!!!

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with a quick trip to Peru!!!!

Hello Fodors South America board!!!! My wife and I have used the fodors boards for trips to Europe, Africa, and several trips to Asia...now I come here asking for help with Peru!!!! Our son will be going to Disney without us the first part of August and we would like to use some of our AA miles for a quick trip to Peru!! We would arrive the evening of August 5th and leave the morning of August 11... I know this isnt much time but its all we have!!!! Our flight of course arrive in LIM... the only thing that we would REALLY like to see is MP! I dont think we really have any desire to spend time in Lima, except for maybe one day at the beginning, or at the end of the trip.

Can anyone suggest an itinerary for those few short days that would include MP??? Also, before we go thru all this, I know that MP wont be just like I see in all the pics, but if we go on a Sunday, will it just be covered with thousands of people??????

hanks in advance for your help, Jeffrey
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:02 PM

I would fly from Lima to Cusco on the first available flight after you arrive. Take a taxi from the Cusco airport to Ollantaytambo. Stay a few days, you can roundtrip for a day to Machu Picchu, or spend a night in Aguas Calientes. There are at least two days worth of sites in the Sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo and Pisac, plus Moray, Maras/Salinas and Chinchero). Cusco is also worth at least a day. It's a good idea to fly back Cusco Lima the day before your international flight. So leave the Lima sightseeing for the end of trip.

You can arrange this yourself easily, check the Perurail.com website to reserve train tickets. You might want to use a Peruvian travel agent to book internal flights since they can get the cheaper LAN fares (note that they have more restrictions).

There is a lot more discussion of Peru over on Tripadvisor.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply!!! Could you recommend a travel agent??? When I tried to look up the flight myself it was over $300 per person RT!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:29 AM

www.peruforless.com is great...

use them a lot.

good prices for a quick trip to MP

can get you internal fares LIM CUZ more than half off...
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with the itn by mlgb. Don't miss the ruins at Pisac. I thought they were great. Unless u think that u will want more than 1 full day at MP, I would not spend a night in AC. It was a rather unappealing town. We planned our visit to MP for a Sunday since we had read that lots of people including tour groups do the markets on that day. We were in MP in late April on a Sunday and it was not overly crowded. We did not love Lima and would have been fine had we just spent the last day of our trip there.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Perfect!!!! thats what i was looking for!!!!! Any other thoughts are welcome as I check out the link!!!!! Jeffrey
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM

Wednesday,August 5th. arrive in Lima go to your selected hotel
Thursday Auguts 6th. fly to Cusco daily departure firts one at 05.30 a.m. last one at 15.30 p.m
Friday August 7th, visit the city of Cusco + 4 ruins around the area
Saturday August08th, Cusco / Machupicchu by Vistadome train make your reservation on line by . www.perurail.com
You can collet the train tckt 24 hrs before the trip it's cost around trip around 143.00$USA and doesn't levae from Cusco it's leave from Poroy 20' from Cusco ask for a taxi ride at the recepcion counter htl
to by the entrance to Machupicchu can do it in Cusco city and for the bus can by it in Aguas Calientes same train station I hope this information help You or drop me on line now I'm in Chivay Colca Canyo for holiday
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 12:07 PM

I would not start out at the high altitude of Cusco. Much better plan to fly into Cusco and go directly to the SV where the altitude is lower.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 12:54 PM

Ollantaytambo is also much more charming than Cusco, particularly in the evening when the tour buses are gone.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everybody! I have also contacted Percy to see if we could hire him for a day or two. I tried the peruforless site and the time we are going in August they couldnt find any good deals on flights for us. I did find the TACA flight for $200 AI which isnt too bad. I will keep checking back to see if anyone has more responses. Jeffrey
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 07:21 PM

We're going May 6-12. Here's our itinerary:

-Arrive in Lima night of May 6

-Fly to Cusco early morning May 7

-Pick up MP tickets in town, pick up rental car at airport and drive approx 2 hrs to Ollantaytambo (Sacred Valley area)

-May 7-9 Stay in Ollantaytambo (Hotel Pakaritampu). Tour Sacred Valley sites and enjoy Ollantaytambo. See MP on May 9.

-May 10 Drive back to Cusco. Drop off car and stay nights of May 10-11 in Cusco (Hotel Rumi Punku)

May 12 - Early morning flight to Lima. Spend day in Lima. Fly home that night.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Here is the reply i got from Percy.

How does this sound to everyone? Are the prices right??

Mr. Jeffrey, thank you for your email, about your questions, yes I am still available and I would like to work with you , this is an optional itinerary , let me know if you like it.

August 6.-Transfer to Ollantaytambo and Sacred Valley of the Incas:- Visiting AWANACANCHA, place where you will see the Andean Camelids like LLama , Alpaca, Huanaco , and Vicuña, also I will show you the Dying and weaving process, after visit Pisaq market and ruins, going through the Valley , Urubamba for the Lunch , after arrive to ollantaytambo to rest and enjoy the town.
Private service $. 130.00 USD include : Car and guide for two people.

August 7.- Sacred Valley.- Ollantaytambo ruins, Chincheros church and ruins, maras salt pants, and Moray experimental terraces, lunch and return to your hotel.
cost $. 130.00 USD car and guide for two people

Private service , you will decide , when , how long, and we can take our time.
August 8.- Machupicchu Full day.- include: transfer hotel / train Station/ hotel, tourist train RT, bus up/ down in Machupicchu, entrance fee, tour guide. (NO LUNCH). Cost. VISTADOME SERVICE $. 240.00 USD per person.
BACKPAKER SERVICE $. 200.00 USD Per person.
in the afternoon return to Cusco.

August 9.- City tour.- am., visiting Sacsayhuaman , Quenko , Pûcapucara, Tambomachay,arqueological sites, and Qoricancha ( Temple of the Sun).
Private Service $. 70.00 USD include : car and guide for two people

you need to pay your boleto turistico, cost S/: 130.00 soles per person.

August 10.- Cusco / Lima.

HOTELS: OLLANTAYTAMBO, PAKARITAMBO HOTEL DWB. $. 100.00 USD. PER NIGHT
CUSCO SAMAY HOTEL DWB. $. 80.00 USD. PER NIGHT

Please let me know if you like this itinerary , send me your opinion.

Sincerly
Percy.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM

I think that sounds like a good plan. In terms of costs I can share what another guide, David Choque, charged us. We used him intermittenly for our days in Cusco and SV. He picked us up at our hotel in Pisac, took us to the ruins and then drove us to our hotel in Ollantaytambo. We stopped for lunch and he drove us around Uramaba and gave us much insight into the area--$38 per person (there were 2 of us.) He drove us from Ollantaytambo to Cusco and then we did tour of Cusco and the ruins right outside town--charged $25 per person for drive and $38 per person for the tour. He picked us up at our hotel in Cusco and we spent the day touring including - Pikillaqta( the only pre - Inca town in this area) – Tipon (the water God Temple of the Incas) and Oropesa(the traditional bakery town)--$38 per person. We were in Peru in April 2007.
I will add that transfer from the Hotel Pakaritambo in Ollantaytambo to the train station is not needed. Its about a 5 minutes walk from the hotel to the train station.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
The prices seem a little higher than when we went with him (in October 2007), but I will say Percy is wonderful. We really enjoyed him and thought we really got our money's worth. His English is good and he's very flexible and easy to be with.
If you haven't seen my trip report (it's a little dated now, but prob most of it is still relevant), here's the link:
http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...es-in-peru.cfm

And my photos are here: http://kbutler1122.zenfolio.com/f754704379
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM

His prices do look a bit high but he has some good reviews on Fodors.

I don't think you need to use him for MP? Just hire a guide at the entrance. Book your own train tickets on Perurail.com.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

MLGB you are right, i think we will do MP without him and hire a guide at the entrance. It also looks like several busy days! I think we might use Percy for 2 days and do MP alone and have one day alone...but if we do stay at the hotel Pakaritambo and do not have anyone take us out one day, is there enough to do around there ourselves?

Also I am a little confused about the train. I looked at the perurail site and understand how to get the train tickets, but once we get to the top do we then need to buy a bus ticket to actually get to MP? If that is right, that would mean we will have been on 4 different flights, a car ride, train ride, and a bus to get to MP....and I thought we had to work hard to get to our honeymoon island in the gulf of Thailand!!!!

thanks again everyone!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:44 PM

Yes, after you arrive in Aguas Calientes you take a bus up to the Machu Picchu entrance...follow everyone else!

If you are staying in Ollantaytambo, then on that day you can see the Ollanta ruins and the old Inka Town, the Cattco museum (small) by walking, but you need a driver to go to the Salineras at Maras, Moray and Chinchero. Very often people do these on the way back to Cusco. So you could ask him to include of Salineras-Moray-Chinchero on August 9, they don't take that much time each.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:32 AM

I think the ruins in Ollantaytambo are easy to see and understand without a guide so if you're looking to save a little money that's another thing u could see on your own. Ollantaytambo is a fabulous village and we really enjoyed exploriing it. We had a day and half there on our own and we found plenty to do.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:38 AM

Also forgot to mention that with our guide, we didnt use him everyday. However he got us our train and bus tixs for MP and would have made all the reservations for hotels for us if needed. Just made it easier for u so u might check with Percy and see if he would do that 4 u also.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

I just got off the phone with AA and they added the LIM-CUZ segment to my award flights for free!! I dint have to use any extra miles or anything! Well that saved us over $400!