Search

Getting From Buenos Aires to Foz do Iguacu

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM
CYA
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting From Buenos Aires to Foz do Iguacu

Hi, Fodorites. I'm finding no direct flights between these two places. Wth a connecting flight, it takes forever. Is my best bet to fly from B.A. to Puerto Iguazu, then take, I guess, two busses to my destination. If so, how long can I expect it to take to get from Puerto Iguazu to Foz? Is the border crossing a big deal, or just a formality? Would taking a cab save a lot of Time? Also, do I need a Visa to get into Brazil? If so, what is the procedure for getting one? Counting on your wisdom, guys. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 11:45 AM

Pluna has a direct Foz from Montevideo to Foz

probably what I would do if possible despegar.com

wikitravel.org/en/Iguazu_Falls details numerous ways to cross

travel.state.gov US Citizens need a Visa to Enter Brazil $130

best to get B4 you leave...
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 12:48 PM

Hello CYA,

I do believe that flying from BsAs to Puerto de Iguazu and then taking a taxi to Foz would be easy and not too time consuming. We took a taxi from town to the Brazilian side of the Falls; getting through customs was quite easy. If I remember correctly, it took about 30-45 minutes altogether.

Needing a Visa depends on the country of your passport. Check with your country's official sites. US citizens ARE required to have one: it takes a couple days, cost ~U$S130 and is a pain, but not terrible. We thought it was totally worth it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 01:37 AM

You should see the falls from both the Argentine side of the park and from the Brazilian side (each very different perspectives), as well as spending some time at the bird park near the Brazil side entrance and maybe doing a trip under Devil's Throat from either side. If you are flying into the airport on the Argentine side (and out of the airport on the Brazilian side, going on to Rio maybe?), then stay in Puerto Iguazu to tour the Argentine side of the park, instead of going back and forth across the border. Maybe you can see the Argentine side while you wait for your Brazilian visa to be processed. There is a bus from the bus station in Puerto to the bus depot in Foz, which intersects the route of the bus from the bus depot in Foz to the park entrance on the Brazil side Or take a taxi direct from Puerto to the Brazil park entrance, simpler, and some report that a taxi driver can get you across the border without stopping to check visa.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 07:15 AM
CYA
Original Poster

Great ideas, everyone. It's going to be a lot of fun, if I can just get our visas in time. Leave in three weeks! Thanks for your taking the time to help out.