Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Iguazu - Fly into Argentina side and out of Brazil side?

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Travelers,

My husband and I would like to see Iguazu on our way from El Calafate to Rio. Naturally, the easiest way to get to Rio from the falls is to fly out of the Brazilian side. However, since we'll be arriving on the Argentinian side (via BA), is this possible? Can taxis or drivers take you to the airport across the border?

Any advice is greatly appreciated... thanks!

*Bridgett
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM

It is very easy to cross the border either by bus which necessitates a change of bus en route, or by taxi. Locals do not need to show passports so you can get a taxi to take you wherever you are going.I am English and so did not require a visa and sailed through the immigration procedures in no time. If you are a US or AUS citizen you do need a visa and it may take a little longer.

Make sure you take the time to see both teh Brazilian and Argentine sides of the falls both are spectacular but very different.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

This is exactly what I needed to confirm - thank you so much! I am American so will allow extra time for the Visa issue (good heads up - thx!).

Do you happen to recall if there are hours the immigration station are open, if they ever close? If we arrive late at night I'm wondering if we'll have any trouble driving to a hotel on the Brazil side right away, just to have the visa checks right away.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM

Sorry, I can't help with the opening times at the border. I do recall crossing from Argentina to Uruguay at about 5.00am and the border were manned there but you are best checking with the airline or hotel for specific advice on the Iguazu border. As there are airports close by on either side of the border with planes presumably arriving through the night I would imagine the border post are kept open to accommodate this but best to make sure.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Hi Missbridgett,

Did you end up flying in the Argentina side and out the Brazilian side? My girlfriend want to do this to get directs on both sides, but want to confirm that, with a Visa (we're US citizens) we can cross over in a taxi or bus and fly out of the Brazilian side. Thank you!