Search

flights and hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flights and hotels

Hello,
My wife and I are still in the planning stages in traveling to Argentina and Brazil in March.
We have our flight to Buenos Aires and departing from Salvador, Brazil 27 days later. Right now it looks like we'll need to take 3 flights: Buenos Aires to Iguazu, Iguazu to Rio, and Rio to Salvador. Should I book these flights now or wait until I'm in these 3 places? Are there any alternatives other than long bus rides? Also looking for hotels, b and b's, or other accommodations in the range of $80 to $100 a night. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. Nick
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 05:32 AM

For flights in Brazil......they only get more expensive if you wait until the last minute.
There are no passenger trains to speak of in Brazil.
The bus system is very comprehensive and comfortable, but both the routes you mention are quite long and arduous.
Often, the price of a flight when purchased in advance can be quite close to the price of the bus.
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 05:40 AM

In Salvador, friends liked the Pousada Estrela do Mar in Barra. The owner is a native English speaker who knows the city well.
The seaside neighborhood of Barra or the next neighborhood out from the Pelourinho historic center, Rio Vermelho, are a few minutes by bus or taxi from Pelourinho/Santo Antonio and quieter, but have lots of options for eating, music and people watching.
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 07:14 AM

Oh, and bear in mind when you purchase flights.....
Fly BsAs to Puerto IguaZu (IGR)
Fly Foz do IguaCu (IGU) to Rio

Flights are cheaper that way (domestic), usually.
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 07:21 AM

Note: On the Brazil side at the falls, any hotel with an address reading Av. Das Cataratas with a " km # " mileage indication is on the road from the town of Foz to the park. These tend to be a bit more resort-y than the ones in town, but for more food options, you'd be taking taxis into town.
For your last night anyway, stay on the side you are flying out of, in Brazil in your case.
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

samba chula,
Thank you so much for your good advice. I'll have to hire you as my travel agent. Thanks again. Nick
Old Nov 16th, 2014, 06:51 PM

I accept tips.

But really, if there's anything else....I'm happy to help.

Oh.....lOne more thought....take a look at the Hotel Del Rey in Foz do Iguacu, very near the bus depot where both the bus for the Brazilian side of the park and the local bus to Argentina originate. Basic, clean, comfort, and decent breakfast, but it has a pool, nice for when you return from a hot, humid, sweaty, exhausting day in the park.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks again SambaChula,
Any thoughts on hotels in buenos aires and rio.
Nick
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 09:36 AM

In Rio, I usually stay with friends now, so I can't give a personal recommendation that is current.
For neighborhoods, if you want beach time, seaside Copacabana, Arpoador, Ipanema or Leblon. Be prepared for sticker shock. If easy beach time is less of a priority, less expensive business hotels in Gloria or Flamengo, near the metro. Many tourists rent furnished apartments, even for a few days.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again SambaChula.
Nick