Flight BA to USH and back plus BA Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Going to Antarctica and planning to stay 4 nights prior in BA. So thinking should fly into USH from AEP, but since we get off the ship on 1/9/20 and our flight home from EZE is 11:00am 1/10/20, thought it might be good for the return flight to land at EZE and stay in a hotel near EZE the night of the 9th. Thoughts on this? Also looking for a hotel for 4 nights in BA either in Palermo or Recoleta. Last time in BA we stayed at Argenta Tower on Juncal. Usually rent apartment but thinking it might be easier to stay in a hotel since we really only have 3 full days. Saw that Mine hotel was recently chosen in Palermo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Willing to go midrange to more expensive if it's a really great place, easy walking to galleries, parks and/or interesting shops/restaurants. Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 10:02 AM

We were the ones who stayed at the Mine Hotel recently. It’s in a great location. It’s a boutique and very modern vibe type of place. Example - concrete floors everywhere. But we were very comfortable, the bed was good (my primary criteria), decent breakfast. We did have an issue with the hot water but it seemed like we were the only ones with the problem.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I thought it was you. Met you many years ago at a Fodors lunch in Palo Alto! I will look closer at this hotel. Anybody have advise on my other question re flight to Ushiaia and back?
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 09:25 AM

Susan, I remember you now!
Old May 20th, 2019, 07:02 AM

I dunno, I stayed around the corner from Mine at didn't find the location wonderful, especially if you plan to walk much. The sidewalks are pretty wrecked up and covered in dog poo, and the architecture is a mishmash. On weekends a lot of the storefronts have tagged roll down metal doors . Not sure what the attraction is. I'd stay in Recoleta if you can afford it. (Which I assume you can if you're going to Antarctica!)
Old May 20th, 2019, 07:55 AM

The golden rule is to always be in your departure city at least the night before an international flight. The cost of replacing that long haul flight is a lot more than a night in a hotel. Travel insurance might or might not cover it but assume that it won't.
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:52 AM

It’s a style choice. We loved Palermo. I’d describe it in terms of New York - Greenwich Village v Upper East Side- or San Francisco - Hayes Valley v Nob Hill.
Old May 20th, 2019, 12:09 PM

More like Tenderloin vs Pacific Heights!
Old May 20th, 2019, 09:57 PM

I wouldn’t entire discount an apartment for 4 nights. Last time in the city we used https://www.oasiscollections.com/buenos-aires/ to do just that. We chose an apartment on Arroaz. Great apartment, good location and the service was excellent. Lots of extras. - services of a concierge, limo transport to and from the airport, welcome supper/ wines access to a private members club.

Since we went, I think they were bought by Hyatt so things may have changed but probably worth a look. Palermo is a big place and is subdivided into smaller barrios. - Soho, Hollywood Etc. All have a different vibe.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Taking up this thread again, as we were gone for a month to Central Asia, fascinating places btw. ready to make a reservation. Crellston, will look at your recommendation and the Mine Hotel, in spite of the dog poop, which is NOT a plus! Any other recommendations for Buenos Aires hotels before I commit? Further info, need to get to AEP for flight to Ushiaia at 8 am. anyone with experience getting to that airport? Thanks.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 11:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed in Recoleta at Melia Recoleta Plaza, Juan Peron’s former villa. Excellent service, quiet room, great location. Would return to this hotel.