BA to Iguazu.....

May 15th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

BA to Iguazu.....

I've been getting some great information from everyone on this site....thank you!
I'm planning to go to BA late May for about a week and would like to know:

- What's the best way to get from BA to Iguazu? Fly or overnight bus?
- Any recommendations for hotels in BA?

Thanks
May 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Definitely fly to Iguazu. And be prepared to be amazed there. We stayed at the Plaza Marriott in BA. Very nice and good location. Word of advice, not that you asked, but - the cabs in BA seemed out to get you. Be on guard.
May 16th, 2007, 02:30 AM

about cabs...take only Radio Taxis, preferably radio taxis called by your hotel or from a cab stand that records the number of the cab.

May 16th, 2007, 02:33 AM

If you cannot afford the Hyatt, there are several new or nearly new boutique hotels in Palermo Soho worth checking out, especially the Bobo and the Home Hotel. In the downtown area, the Regal Pacific is a nice hotel and worth the money. Rates for around US150, depending upon the date.

May 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise everyone!

- Is flying to Iguazu the best option? The flights seem pretty pricey, might I get a better deal once I'm in BA?
- Anyone ever stayed at the Best Western in Buenos Aires? It seems ideally located and half the cost of most other hotels there.
Thanks.
May 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Definitely fly. The site of the falls is well worth the money, and it's a hellishly long bus ride. Your time in Argentina is more precious than the cash.
May 17th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Fly to Iguazu on an early a.m. flight out of BA and return the next afternoon. You arrive in time and in condition to enjoy the park and falls that day and the next full morning. It is worth the cost of the trip!

The Wilton Hotel was clean, comfortable, ideally located, and priced under $100 per night for our stay in BA. As for cabs, use ONLY RADIO cabs which can easily be obtained by hotel staff and save small bills for use in cabs. BA has much to enjoy so a week will seem like a short stay. Enjoy!
May 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

I'll continue to look into flights to Iguazu.
CollegeMom - I'll look into the Wilton hotel, thank you!

Any suggestions for a hotel in Iguazu? Is the Sheraton the best bet for a short stay of 1 1/2 days?

Thanks!
May 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM

The convenience of the Sheraton Hotel at Iguazu was worth the price, and it was only for one night. It is located in the park so you can access the trails (several miles of paths and cat walks)before and after the tour buses arrive/depart from/for town. You don't pay in time or money for the trip to/from the park. The forrest side is less expensive than the falls side and if you are in the park all day, once it gets dark it doesn't matter since the falls have no lights on them at night. The falls are visible during the day from the lobby, dining room of the hotel and outside pool so except for time in your room on the forrest side, you can see the falls. I don't spend a lot of time in hotel rooms or poolside since I prefer to explore the area so hotel criteria other than clean, safe and convenient are low on my priority list. The Wilton is actually called the Wilton Palace Hotel, and it is on Callao and Santa Fe in BA. An enclosed ATM with 24 hour access is across the street from the hotel. There are photos and more description on their website. Staff is friendly and mostly bilingual and breakfast is included. If you are a light sleeper, request a room off the street since there is traffic all night in BA! Over a period of time I had three different rooms, and all were fine plus they kept extra luggage while I was on interior trips.
May 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM

The location of the Sheraton definitely makes it worth while. And one night is enough time. But try to get there early and do at least one path after you check in, or both paths if you don't want to wait til the next morning. There are a couple of paths, both worthwhile. The next morning take a cab to the other side (Brazil) of the falls. It is a whole other look. Like one Argentian told me - Seeing the falls from the Brazil side is like being on the front row of a show. Seeing the falls from the Argentian side is like seeing the falls from the stage. Which is better? If I could only see one side it would be the Argentina side, just a few minutes walk out the door of the Sheraton. But it really is a sight to behold from both sides.
May 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Good stuff....thanks!

Also, once in Iguazu, should I just explore on my own or do a day tour of the park and falls?

Thanks
May 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM

You'll be fine exploring on your own... just follow the trails. A guide really isn't needed.
May 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM

No guide needed at Iguazu Falls, but there are river tours you can also take in addition to walking the trails on both the upper and lower level. Do plan on getting wet on the river tour! Reservations for river tours can be usually made in the lobby of the Sheraton and won't need prior reservations unless it is peak season. The falls are beyond description! You may want to check earlier posts here regarding going to the Brazil side of the falls(by cab) which technically requires a visa if travelling on US passport.
May 17th, 2007, 09:02 PM

I second Dr. Dawggy's recommendation on those hotels as we stayed at two of those during our visit...
May 18th, 2007, 06:36 AM

I agree with the suggestions of CollegeMom and LarryRGV regarding the great location of the Sheraton. Its proximity to the national park will save you valuable sightseeing time. We spent two nights there last month in a "falls view" room. If I had it to do all over again, I would opt for a regular room and not have to pay the approximately 30% premium in room rate. You are simply not in your room long enough to derive this much benefit from the view.

Additionally, be careful about taking a ride over to the Brazilian side without a visa. Some people have no problems while some do get caught. I understand there is a substantial fine involved. If you are there for one or two nights, the risk may not be worth the benefits. You decide!

Can you possibly extend your stay at Iguazú Falls to two nights? IMO, one night is minimally sufficient, but two is much better. Something this impressive you will remember for the rest of your life. There is so much to see and do.
May 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Orlando Vic, appreciate your great info! I'm still working out the exact time frame I'll have in Iguazu, but I may have to stick with the one night.

Also, I'll stick with treking around on my own as suggested by everyone, sounds like the most flexible way.

Any other advise/info would be appreciated. Thanks!
May 18th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Don't miss the boat ride under the falls, which lasts all of 10-15 minutes, you will get totally soaked, so plan accordingly...it's so much fun! Iguazu is amazing!
May 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi owlwoman,

I've heard of the boat ride and although you get drenched, it's really cool to be that close to the falls......looking forward to it!
May 18th, 2007, 06:57 PM

We flew Lan to Iguazu--did not stay at the Sheraton but wished we had. The boat ride was great--don't miss it.

The Mariott Plaza in BA is in an ideal location next to the pedestrian-only area. I highly recommend it.

Don 't miss the Eva Peron museum.
May 24th, 2007, 12:52 PM

I have heard the same advice given here to see both sides and we plan to do that (and stay two nights). Since we should get a Brazilian visa to be on the safe side would it be better to stay on the Brazilian side or Argentinian side for the two nights. Any other hotel suggestions if we decide we can't spring for the ones close to the falls (although that would be my preference)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO