Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

First time in Buenos Aires - a few questions for the BA experts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have plane tickets purchased and hotels booked for 4 nights Buenos Aires, before moving on to Iguazu Falls and Rio. Not as much time as we would have liked, but we’ve read trip reports and guide books and narrowed it down to the following base itinerary, from which we will drill down what exactly we want to see and do in each neighborhood:

Buenos Aires, 4 nights, landing at 10:40 am - This gives us 3.5 days for the following: Recoleta, Centro and Puerto Madero, Palermo (I realize it’s quite large), La Boca and San Telmo. We like to bike throughout cities, if possible, which allows us to cover more territory, as well as rest our feet.

Questions:

• Any suggestions for the best areas for biking as a means to see sights (as opposed to just a pleasant ride through a park)?
• Any experience with using a bike tour company? If so, recommendations?
• I see that there is a program called EcoBici, which seems similar to other systems we have used in Paris, Montreal, etc., which allows you to pick up a bike from one location and drop it off at another, as many times as you like. We loving seeing cities this way. Does anyone have any experience with this that they can share? I tried signing up on-line but I got an error message saying it would not take my documentation.
• I realize that we won’t be able to get an in-depth experience of such a large city in 3.5 days, but is it realistic to see at least the highlights of the areas I have outlined in the amount of time we have? We could use taxis as needed, to get between neighborhoods.
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 12:46 PM

Hi, Russ! Welcome to the Argentina forum!

About thursdaysd's "the Argentina experts don't seem to be reading this one, and there are some on this forum.": At least yours truly WAS reading it, but chose not to reply because I'm not at all sure biking in BA is such a great idea.

About your questions, Russ:

Nothing attractive about the "Centro" area and La Boca is dangerous, unless you go with a group. And, anyway, it's a tourist trap. San Telmo, only for its famous Sunday fair.

How about this bike tour company, which gets good reviews, for at least the first day: http://tinyurl.com/ot5rp5m ??

Is this where you tried to register and got an error message?

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/ecobic...obici/turistas

No charge, but you HAVE to register.

Russ: are you aware of the fact that Argentines drive their cars like maniacs? I'm one of them. LOL!!!!

Have you read about the "blue" rate of exchange and safety rules for BA?

Have a great time in my town, russ_in_LA.
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi avrooster. Thanks for the reply. Maybe we'll try a group bike tour before going out on our own. That is the correct site that I went to that was giving me an error message, which read:

"No pudimos validar tu documentación. Por favor, adjuntala de nuevo online o concurriendo con los originales a los lugares de registro presencial."

I tried it two additional times and kept getting the same message. Wasn't sure if anyone else had any experience trying to register on-line before going, but if so, I'd love to know if they were successful and if they did anything differently. If not, we'll just try it in person when we get there.

I have read the reports on this site and elsewhere regarding the blue rate and safety. I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer. Thanks.
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 02:47 AM

Well, Russ, that´s why I suggested a bike tour first, maybe the afternoon when you get here.

I would do their tour of the Southern part of BA, they should be able to tell you how to register for the Eco bike and you can explore on your own during the rest of your visit.

Obviously, do not carry an expensive camera.

Have a great time in my town.
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 03:04 PM

I am almost sure that only someone resident, with a local ID, can hire the EcoBici. That is why your document numbers were rejected. I would do a tour, have a look at the traffic, and then decide if you want to hire bikes privately.
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 01:49 AM

The link to the municipal website I provided above specifically says:

"If you’re a tourist in town, you can now use the Public Bicycle Sharing System to get to know the City in a different way. The service is free of charge and is available 24 h.

How to register to use the service Sign up free for EcoBici online or in person:

Online: Register as a user HERE or download the BA Ecobici app on your cellphone. (You will only have to attach your scanned ID onto the system).

In Person: Request an appointment on buenosaires.gob.ar/turno or calling 147. Go to the communal office and present your ID."

Have a great time in my town.
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

As I discovered, the on-line system is lacking, so I will try to do it in person. Thanks.
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 05:03 AM

In Recoleta, from the parks around the Recoleta Cultural Center towards Palermo Botanico there are excellent biking paths/sidewalks and sights to see and they are safe.
You run into trouble when you try to ride on the streets with the cars.
We lived a block and a half from those parks, there were always City Bike rentals in that area and close to the Museums.
There are streets where they have bike lanes and there are even little bikes painted on them but do not depend on anyone paying attention to that.
Be super careful on the streets.
Down in Palermo Soho there was a bike rental too but I have forgotten where and the name.
Be careful, have fun !
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 05:05 AM

http://www.bikingbuenosaires.com/?gc...FUiQHwodJ_UMqw

http://www.biketours.com.ar/ing/index.php

check these and see if it is what you are interested in.
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 05:33 AM

these are the guys that I used to see in our park in Recoleta.. the Orange Bike Tour
http://www.buenosaires-argentina.com...cleta-naranja/
Old Oct 14th, 2015, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ran across this piece on cycling across Argentina. Not about BsAs but the author (who is the author of "Practical Nomad") should be able to answer questions about that. Worth trying.

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/002191.html
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 04:17 AM

That article was interesting but had nothing to do with bike rentals in the city of BA.
I am really impressed with the adventurers who will go out into areas where you don't see any people even for days ! on a bike.
I am such a wimp : )
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know, but the author has also ridden in BA, which is why I suggested contacting him.
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll try the guided bike tour first, and then give ecobici a try, perhaps in the areas with bike paths. ;-)
Old Oct 26th, 2015, 05:30 AM

russ, you can ride your bike safely along the huge avenue from Recoleta by the Museums and Cultural Center up to Palermo Botanico .. there are very wide sidewalks plus bike paths. It is miles of parks then neighborhoods and very family oriented so there will be "bikers" all over the place.
Have fun and just remember to chain/lock that bike up if you leave it to go inside anywhere : )