Favorite resources for Chile trip planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend who will be living in Santiago for a few months beginning in January, and am contemplating a trip to visit her and see more of Chile (or possibly other SA countries). I've been to Europe several times, and am comfortable planning and taking trips there, but have never been to South America. So I'm flying a bit blind at the moment. Other than going to the library and getting a general guidebook (which I'll of course do, and have been checking sites like Fodor's Destinations pages), are there any favorite web sites or other resources you like to use for planning trips in Chile?

Any first-timer suggestions would definitely be appreciated as well! I'm not 100% sure this trip will happen (mostly dependent on how expensive it would be to do what we'd like to do), but I'm hopeful. I'd like to see some combination of Torres del Paine and/or other parts of Patagonia, Easter Island and Buenos Aires (plus perhaps other things I haven't read up on yet), but I know it's unlikely we'd be able to do all of that!
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Well, you can look at the trip reports in the Forums here.

Sometimes you can get good info by googling "Torres del Paine trip blog" or something like that.

The website for the Las Torres hotel is

www.lastorres.com

and for Fantastico Sur

http://www.fantasticosur.com/en/

There is quite a bit of useful info there.

Finally I will plug one of my favorite B&Bs ever in Punta Arenas

http://www.lacasaescondida.cl/home.html
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mlgb! Yes, I'll definitely be looking at trip reports as well. I've been googling, but it's always good to have suggestions so you know what sites are reputable. I really appreciate the information! Torres del Paine looks gorgeous. The friend I'd be going with is a pretty enthusiastic backpacker; I am not so enthusiastic. So I'll be investigating the refugios - the Fantastico Sur site looks very helpful!
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 03:21 AM

The official tourism website is a good place to start:
http://www.chile.travel

Interpatagonia is good for anywhere in the lakes or further south:
http://www.interpatagonia.com/index_i.html

If you are contemplating Torres del Paine, the two busiest months are January and February. A lot of the lodging for January will already be booked, especially the more economical options as they are limited.
http://www.worldtravelforcouples.com...res-del-paine/

The three top destinations for Chile would be Torres del Paine, Easter Island and San Pedro de Atacama. None are cheap destinations, but there is much more to see. There are places where there would be hiking for your friend and other activities for you.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Huentetu - that is GREAT information! I really appreciate it and will check those out. The reading I have done so far has made me realize that if we want to do this, it's going to cost us a lot, especially during our time frame. So we'll see what happens. The round trip plane tickets to Santiago are running about $1400 right now, so what I don't want to do is pay that much just to get down there and then not make the most of the opportunity.

I'm perfectly fine with hiking - I just like having showers and beds, so haven't gotten into backpacking!
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 04:53 PM
Amy

I really used this site (and some TripAdvisor reading) for most of my Chile planning. Lonely Planet's Thorntree is helpful as well. LAN's Airpass helped out with the amount of flights that I took.

My trip report is here: http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...rip-report.cfm It's two years old now, so possibly some things are outdated, but it's a solo independent trip that includes Easter Island and Atacama, so you might find it of interest.

I loved Chile a whole lot.
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Amy! That looks like great reading - I'll definitely go through it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm visiting Chile as part of my current trip. I used the Fodors and Frommers South America and Chile guidebooks, plus Lonely Planet Chile, plus Footprint and Moon "Patagonia". I am traveling with Moon "Patagonia".

I also read several trip reports, notably Crellstons, and talked with friends who were there recently.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM
JBX

Any more feedback? Am planning a visit to Chile later this year (Nov-2013).
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 08:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The Lakes Region is beautiful,and Puerto Varas is a good base. We were there in March and were advised to go earlier in the month rather than later as cooler temperature/seasonal changes would create cloudy days where the mountains might not be as visable. We didn't have any problems with visability second week of March.You can take a boat to Puella in the national park, and continue on to Argentina if you wish, ending at Bariloche,AR, fly to or from Buenos Aires. There are direct flights between Santiago and Puerto Montt, not too far from Puerto Varas.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 02:30 PM
JBX

Good info. Thanks.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:17 AM

jent:

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...ocheArgentina#

I don't do TR's..but here are some familiarization pix of Chile, Bariloche and the Andean lake crossings. It may give you some deas of independent travel therein. We loved it. Would certainly go back. Drove the length of the paved roads into Puerto Montt from Santiago, crossed the lakes and spent some time in Bariloche before continuing on to BA, Iquazu, Rio and the Amazon. You'll love Chile.
stu
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, stu! Unfortunately the trip didn't work out this year (my friend is down there now and headed to Patagonia soon, so the jealousy will really kick in then!). But I'm hoping to get down there sooner rather than later, and will keep all this for reference!
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 07:37 PM

Jen:
PLan it and do it...don't ever put anything off too long....keep on truckin'....
Stu