Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
El Calafate/Torres del Paine 7 day Itinerary Help

My DH and I have 7 full days in El Calafate in October. We were thinking of :
1 day El Calafate,
1 day drive to Puerto Natales
4 days Torres Del Paine
1 day drive from Puerto Natales to El Calafate

Given that:
We're going for scenery and photography.
We're not big into hiking but will do some small trails for scenery.
We want to see a tiny bit of Patagonia in both countries.
We normally squeeze a lot into our trips.

How does that itinerary sound?
Do you think we should spend less time in Torres Del Paine and squeeze in Perito Moreno?
Is it safe to drive in these areas?
Is the bus or a tour a better option? If so, how do you get around without a car?

Any other suggestions for the best use of our 7 days (not counting travel to and from El Calafate)?

Thanks so much .
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 04:37 AM

I would skip Puerto Natales and go directly to TDP as there's nothing really all that special in PN. Several companies do that transfer directly (our hotel did their own private transfer at about the same price). Personally, I would put the now extra day into El Calafate if you don't plan on full days of hiking. If you ride horses, consider an all day ride which take you right into the torres. But still there are plenty of day and half day groups you can join in the park.

And definitely do not miss Perito Moreno ... I prefer the all day boat excursion to there and several other glaciers.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely take the time in El Calafate to see the glaciers. I used one day for Perito Moreno and another for a boat tour of several other glaciers and both days were fabulous.

I agree that PN can be skipped - I was really only there to catch the Navimag boat. On the other hand, I don't hike, and a day trip from PN to TDP was fine for what I wanted - of course, I was very lucky with the weather.

Go here for why you should see the glaciers: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...more-glaciers/
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:50 PM

I do not understand why you would go to El Calafate (the town) and not see Perito Moreno Glacier. There is virtually nothing in the town and it is not scenic. If that was all you were going to do on the Argentine side, I would skip it. If you want to see the glacier, it takes two nights, as the trip from the town to the glacier takes a whole day and they only leave in the morning (i.e. you cannot fly in from Buenos Aires and see the glacier in one day). I liked walking on the glacier, but thought there was more to do and see in TdP. However, we took several half day hikes. We did not see the other glaciers in Argentina, just Perito Moreno.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Based on your feedback, I will switch things around to add Perito Moreno. I had read somewhere that if you are driving you should go to Puerto Natales because that was the only place to get gas. So after a 6-7 hour drive, we are only staying in PN overnight and leaving right away for the park which is another 3 hours away. Any thoughts on this?
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 03:23 AM

Your greater issue, now that you are talking car rental, is whether you will be permitted to bring a rental vehicle across the border. Used to be that was not possible.

From the practical standpoint Puerto Natales is hours out of your way and the route down there and back would probably use up any extra fuel you would purchase. But I believe there is fuel at Cerro Castillo, on the way from El Calafate to TDPNP.
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 07:18 AM

You can bring a car across the border provided the rental company is in agreement and you foot the extra cost of the paperwork. You have to return the car to Argentina, but that seems to be in your plans. Since this is going to be an expensive option, you might consider getting one of the private transfers from El Calafate directly to the park. This is more expensive than the bus to PN, but when you factor in the bus, a night and food in PN and a bus to the park, not that bad. These are really day tours but you can be left in the park at the end and book a return with them another day back to El Calafate.

Torres del Paine is designed for multi day hikes. Roads are limited and do not go everywhere. The buses from Puerto Natales make three stops inside the park and that is the sum total of the public transport inside the park. There is a private shuttle from the Laguna Amarga entrance to the Hotel Las Torres which you can pay for and use.The top end hotels (all inclusive) have daily excursions but they are very expensive hotels. The other options are mainly shared dorms in the refugios or staying outside the park in the Rio Serrano area. Wherever you want to stay, you need to book well in advance as it all fills in January and February and most things close in the winter.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 08:06 PM

I came back from my trip to SouthAmerica. I have been in Torres del Paine and Moreno.
Both are amazing!
I did the trecking at the glaciar. Unforgettable!
Torres del Paine is so so big and deserves to stop and stay there to enjoy a lot.
Patagonia is for months!