Search

Help with Patagonia trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Patagonia trip

Please tell me if this itinerary is too hectic: We will be flying from BA into El Calafate landing at 10:30 AM. We will have the rest of that day(Monday) and a full next day(Tues.) to tour. Then the next day(Wed) we will be driven to Torres del Paine(5 hour drive), have a 1/2 day for touring, and a full next day also(Thurs.) The following day,( Fri) drive back to El Calafate, stay overnight there and fly out the following day to BA(Sat)
So, does that sound like too much driving for such a short period of time? Would it be wiser to spend more time in El Calafate than on a bus transfer? I am conflicted because so many people say that Torres del Paine is awesome. What do you think?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM

If you're travelling far to see as much as you can, I don't think this would be too much, the Torres del Paine is definitely worth seeing, it is awesome! Since you're being driven, you can sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery on the way. We spent one full day in the Torres del Paine and loved it.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's the anwser I was hoping to get.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:38 PM

You're right Torres del Paine is just an AWESOME park to visit, I have been there twice... If you just want to go to take some pic's it's okay for half day, but you won't be able to see “las torres“ indee (they are 5 hours waking form the entrance of the park)... you'll just see cuernos del Paine, Gray Glacier and other lakes... that are pretty cool too...
In El Calafate you've got to see Perito Moreno Glacier... and the lakes that surround it... very pretty!!!! El Calafate is a tiny little town... very nice.

You have to take into account that if you are driving all the way to Torres del Paine you'll pass the border, that sometimes take a little bit of time...
Oh! and I almost forgot... once in Torres del Paine you can go to the Milodon Cave, and you can stay the night in Puerto Natales... (I recommed you the hostel Guillermo, cheap, clean and placed in downtown).

Well, if you need some other advice don't hesitate to write...
Rgds.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

We are staying at Hosteria Los Torres in TP. We will have at least a half day(arrival day) and the entire next day to do an all day tour. We are staying 2 nights. When we are in El Calafate we have a half day at Ranch Alice(arrival day)with dinner/show, one full day to to the Upsala glacier boat/tour and one half day to see Perito Moreno glacier(departing day). We won't have time to take the trek on the glacier, only to gaze at it, and walk the catwalks. We're catching a late PM flight. Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:43 AM

That sounds perfect. I'd like to hear about your El Calafate stay when you return, we're thinking of heading back down to AR next March and including this as we've missed El Calafate the first two times we visited. When you're in the TDP try to take the Lago Gray Boat to the Glaciers. It was the highlight of our day in the park.