patagonia/argentina help!

Jul 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

patagonia/argentina help!

My husband and I and another couple are planning a trip to Buenos Aires and Patagonia next March. I had always thought that I wanted to go to Torres del Paines, but was concerned about the choices of accomodations since I didn't think I wanted to spend the money for Explora, but didn't think the other lodging options were that well recommended. After talking to many travel agents and friends, I became was convinced that El Calafate and El Chalten were the better options. I've been told that Glacier National Park is extraordinary like Torres, but has more accessible accomodations like Los Cerros and that the hikes are not as demanding and equally spectacular. Our travel agent is also recommending an extra tour from El calafate to Estancia Cristina. At the last minute we decided to add an extension to Iguazu thinking that is like not going to Macchu Picchu if going to Peru. Soooo, 2 questions, 1. will we regret not going to Torres or is the Fitz Roy area just as remarkable? 2. If we have to cut expenses, should we cut a day in El Calafate and skip the Estancia Christina, cut one night in Los Cerros to 3 from 4 OR skip Iguazu and focus on Patagonia...
any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Jul 9th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jul 9th, 2008, 09:00 AM

How long is your trip?

Our first trip we visited Iguazu and Torres del Paine (among other places), the TDP is amazing, we just spent one full day there, staying in town (3 hour drive) instead of the park. Have not been to El Calafate (next trip), but I've seen pictures and it looks spectacular too. Do not miss Iguazu, it's definitely worth planning for.
Jul 9th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your encouragement about iguazu. Still need to decide between El Chalten/Glacier NP...
Jul 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM

I can only advise about El Calafate - you need one full day to do the lake excursion to Uppsala Glacier (don't miss the stop at an island where you walk through the forest to a small lake with three calving glaciers, especially in autumn when the leaves are red) and another day to go to Perito Morino Glacier.This latter one we did on a bus trip, but could be done with a hire car, then you can do it at your own pace and maybe stop at an Estanzia on the way.
There's also a lake in El Calafate with flamingos.
Going to Iguacu for the second time soon - it's fabulous too. I wouldn't miss it, it is such a contrast to Patagonia, and an amazing sight. Shame one can't see everything !