Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

What parts of Patagonia, Argentina are a must-see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am travelling with my wife to South America for 2 months this November.

I really would like to visit & see Patagonia, but am not overly interested in travelling all the way to the end of the world, Ushuaia.

Could somebody be able to advise of what the essential towns / cities are in the Patagonian region? I would like to cover these myself, i.e. not through a tour company

Thanks
Mani
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent two months traveling independently in South America last year, much of the time in Patagonia, and also missing out Ushuaia.

See: http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...-patagonia.cfm

Or start here for text with photos: http://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com/...-taste-of-rio/
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM

I really loved our time in Patagonia. Pucon in Chile is really beautiful and it is easy to cross in Argentina from there at San Martin de Los Andes, which was a terrific place to spend a few days. From there we rented a car drove down to Bariloche via the seven lakes area and Angostura, a nice town. Bariloches was a disappointment but I think we hit it at the wrong time ( ie. spring break). It was more about the scenery than the towns for me.
Renting a car is the easiest way to see the area although it can be done by bus.

Some more detail on my blog http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/1/tpod.html entries 69-71 cover our time in this region.
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 04:45 PM

My husband and I just spent 2 wks in Argentina this past March. We did not have time to go down to Ushuaia but we traveled to Buenos Aires, Bariloche and the San Martin area, El Calafate and El Chalten. I highly recommend Bariloche and El Calafate. I wouldn't stay in the city center of Bariloche but we stayed at the Peninsula Petit Hotel, a b&b north of the city up on the peninsula, and the area is beautiful. We also enjoyed El Calafate for the Perrito Merino glacier. I would advise renting a car in both cities though you can get by on buses. My trip report is at www.talkingchin.blogspot.com
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 03:55 PM

although we spent time in el calafate ( mainly to see perito moreno glacier., we far enjoyed the time we spent in much quieter and picturesque chalten. glaciers about 15 minutes from town hiking out the back door.

cheers
AndrewDavid