Search

Easter Weekend in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Jen
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter Weekend in Buenos Aires

Hi all- I will be in Buenos Aires over Easter weekend, arriving the morning of Good Friday and departing that Monday... what can I expect to be closed on Easter Sunday? Will cafes/restaurants remain open? I'm not that into shopping, so if shops are closed, it won't matter much to me. I would very much like to see the San Telmo antique market though... will that be operating? How about on Good Friday? I want to plan my activities there around potential holiday closures.

Related question: I understand there will be a procession Friday night, along Avenue de Mayo, is that correct? Any tips on where to be along the route, and what time to be there? Any other interesting Easter traditions and/or events I should experience?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 02:38 AM

Easter Sunday is no different from any other Sunday in BA except for the fact that it is part of a long weekend, which means there will be less porteños around.

Cafés and restaurants will be open, except for those which normally close on Sundays. Same for the shops.

Our famous Feria de San Telmo will certainly be open http://feriadesantelmo.com/

What is your question about Good Friday?

Yes, there is every Good Friday a procession (Via Crucis) which ends in our Cathedral in Plaza de Mayo. I have been unable to find a 2013 schedule for this event. Perhaps when we are closer to Good Friday?

Have a great time in our town.
Old Feb 8th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Jen
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. My question about Good Friday is the same... will things be closed? Sorry for being unclear!
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 07:03 AM

Semana Santa is the time of the year when restaurants and hotels make the most of their money. Meanwhile, Avrooster is right we he says that there will be less porteños around, but stores, restaurants, museums etc in touristic areas will be open even in Good Friday and Easter Sunday, you have not to worry about that ;-)