Colombia + Peru in 1 month: itinerary doable?

Old Mar 13th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colombia + Peru in 1 month: itinerary doable?

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning on a ~1 month budget trip to Colombia and Peru beginning early May. We're planning roughly 2 weeks in each country. I know it isn't much time, but we are limited before we start school.

So far we have this:

1.) Fly into Cartagena, find a hostel and spend a couple of days
2.) Head to Santa Marta and/or Tanganga, spend a day or so
3.) 4 day Ciudad Perdida hike
4.) Spend two or so days in Tayrona, camping/hammocking
5.) Back to Cartagena, and fly to Medellin
6.) Maybe spend the night in Medellin, and then head to Salento for one full day and night
7.) Back to Medellin to fly to Lima

8.) Lima for a day or two
9.) Bus to Arequipa to see the Colca Canyon for 2ish days?
10.) Get to Cusco, spend two or so days acclimating and seeing the city
11.) Bus/Train to Machu Picchu
12.) If there's time for the Sacred Valley, we'd like to spend time there
13.) Back to Lima for the return flight home

We aren't into dancing/clubs/nightlife as much as we are the chillout and drink a beer type. We're both in our mid-20s. Of importance to us are the Ciudad Perdida hike, a dive or two while in Colombia, and seeing Machu Picchu. I really just want to make sure our tentative intinerary is feasable, but any proposed changes or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 12:11 PM

I haven't been to. Columbia so I can't comment on the feasibility of that part but assuming that you are splitting your time 50/50 I would say that the Peru section is fine. Unless you intend to fly between Arequipa and Cusco, I would add in a day or two in Puno fro Lake Titicaca and then get the Inka Express bus to Cusco. The journey takes around 8 hours and is pretty impressive as bus rides go. You also get to stop at a number of places of interest along the way.

You will start to aclimatise in Arequipa and continue in Puno so you should be acclimatised by the time you get to Cusco.

Do allow time for the SV, probably staying in Ollantaytambo as a base before going to MP. Also, try and fit Pisac in if you can. Book tickets for MP as soon as you know your dates.

PS would love to hear about your time in Columbia as it is high on our list of places to visit next.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 03:23 PM

I noticed on the 4M Express website, they have added a new service from Colca to Cusco (M W Friday only). From Cusco to Chivay it is Tuesday-Thurday-Saturday). Price in either direction is $65. No further information at the moment such as how long it takes, what kind of stops there might be, etc. But this would allow people who do not want to go to Puno and Titicaca to save quite a bit of time.

Their website with contact details
http://www.4m-express.com/

As far as acclimatizing you do not need to start in Arequipa. You can just as easily start with a few days in the Sacred Valley, then go to MP, and then end in Cusco.

Also, Cusco is the highest of the three locations (MP is the lowest, then SV, then Cusco). So spending a few nights in Cusco first is actually backwards if you are not hiking the Inca Trail.
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 11:18 AM

I don't know if I'd spend two days at Colca Canyon. It did not seem all that "Grand" to me. Take the 4M bus to Chivay (close to Colca), see the canyon, stay over nite, then take the 4M bus next day to Cusco. Add the time to the Cusco area. The Cusco area deserves several days--MP, the Sacred Valley and Cusco. You can get a day tour of the Sacred Valley from Cusco that will include Pisac, or you can take a local bus.

Second the idea of staying Ollantaytambo and catching the train to MP from there. I'd try to stay overnite in Aguascalientes, close to MP so that you can see it after the trains leave and before the trains come the next day. It's a different place.