A few days in Uruguay from Buenos Aires

Old Mar 13th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few days in Uruguay from Buenos Aires

We're spending some time in Buenos Aires in late November and early December and wanted to visit somewhere fairly close in Uruguay for a couple of days. We were thinking of either Colonia or Punta del Este, as I understand there is ferry/boat service from BA to both. Which would you recommend if you were going to choose one place or the other? Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I chose may be quite different from what you would choose, since the two locations are quite different. What do you want? A beach resort or a former colonial outpost with photogenic buildings? I chose Colonia but I don't do beaches very often when I'm traveling as I have a perfectly good one two hours away.
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Probably the former, as we're not really beach people in the first place. Colonia sounds very different from places we've been before, so I think it makes sense to do that. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, there is bus service from Colonia to Montevideo if you wanted to have a look at that too. You could do a triangle, taking the ferry back from Montevideo. (As an incentive to visit Uruguay, the steak is better there.) For my visit to Montevideo see: http://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com/...ty-needs-care/

Colonia is the next post, linked at the top.
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 10:19 AM

I would suggest you Colonia, it is quite interesting. However, I would not spend more than 1 night there. There is a ferry that only takes 1 hour to get there. There is a lot to do in Argentina, I would rather spend more time in different areas of the country. If you stayed for a month in Argentina, you would still have things to do and visit.
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 01:01 AM

We spent a few days in both Montevideo and Colonia and enjoyed both, I echo Thursdaysd's suggestion to try and visit both. I agree that the Uruguayans are even more obsessive about their beef than the argentines. Here is a link to some photos we took in the markets area in. Montevideo.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...8420/tpod.html ( the next entry is for Colonia )

I loved Colonia and spent several days there. A very photogenic town. You can rent a golf cart you get around and possible out to some of the beaches outside of town, I would avoid weekend as it gets very with weekebpnding Porteños