Altitude and trip planning

Mar 16th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Altitude and trip planning

Unfortunately I have planned our trip to Peru starting in Arequipa and ending in Cusco.
At present the days are: flight from NY to Arequipa arriving mid morning - 2 days in Arequipa then 2 day, 1night tour to Colca Canyon. Transfer to flight to Puno -2 days, 3n Puno -Bus to Cusco and then on to Ollyantatambo for 2n, 2 days - 1 n Aquas Calientes and 1 day Machu Picchu then back to Pisac for 1 n,1day and then Cusco for 4n,3days.

Is this enough time to acclimate to the altitude -we are active seniors, 81 & 71
Would anyone suggest a different distribution of the days for the sacred valley?
Any suggestions for tour companies for Colca or best ways to visit the Floating Islands?Also would car and driver be the best way to get around scared valley or can taxis do the job.
Any feedback on Hostal Solar in Arequipa, Hotel Intiqa in Puno and Hostal Amaru in Cusco - also need a one night stand near the station for Aquas Calientes.
Many thanks for any help!!
Mar 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM
OO

DD and her 5 year old son are there now. I have no experience myself, but wanted to relate hers with elevation, as with the exception of Puno, their trip is quite similar to yours.. They flew from Tampa to Lima, overnight in Lima, then flight the next morning to Arequipa to join her husband who has been there since early February. They spent a week in Arequipa, with the last couple of days on an excursion to Colca Canyon.

From there they flew to Cusco. About 10 hours after arriving in Cusco, our grandson began vomiting. Hotel contacted a doctor for him who prescribed a corticosteroid which stopped the vomiting...just in time for our daughter to begin. Her O2 levels were good and I believe she was just given an anti-nausea. On to Ollyantatombo after 2 days. She slept while our SIL carried the 5 year old around the ruins day 1. Two days there, then on to Aguas Calientes where everyone felt fine, thankfully. They went back to Cusco yesterday afternoon, and I haven't heard, but am anxious to learn if they are OK now, having had more time to acclimate to the altitude. SIL who had been at Arequipa's altitude for over a month was OK through all this.

They are having an incredible journey despite the illness. I wish you well on your trip....it's something I'd love to do as well.
Mar 16th, 2012, 11:34 AM

Colca and Puno are higher than Cusco. Any problems you have with altitude are likely to happen before you reach Cusco.

You go over a very high pass between Arequipa and Colca.

Talk to your doctor about taking Diamox a day or two before you depart for Colca Canyon. I would ask if your tour provider to Colca and the hotel will have oxygen. Take it easy when you get there.
Mar 16th, 2012, 11:36 AM

PS..the good news is that often older people adapt easier to altitude changes than young fit people. One theory is there is extra room in the cranium due to our brains shrinking.
Mar 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Also, why are you going back to Arequipa to fly to Puno? You can just continue on the 3M bus Chivay to Puno.
Mar 16th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and for the good news that there might be one positive about aging!!
We are flying to Puno because I am using miles and Arequipa was booked as the stopover onto Juliaca,,,before I realized that the bus would have been easier. I am hoping that one of the tour companies can drop us at the airport if it is on the way back to Arequipa as the flight leaves at 5pm.
I quess I could drop that flight if necessary and take the bus.
Mar 16th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Probably will cost you more in change fees to change a destination than it's worth!
However, I'm not sure that the standard tour will get you back in time. They usually include lunch in Chivay and the standard return time to AQP is 5 pm to 6 pm or later depending on how many people, how slowly they eat lunch, dawdle at the stops along the route back to AQP, etc.

If it costs too much to drop Juliaca I would look into getting a private transfer back.
Mar 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Is private transfer a taxi or can one arrange this in advance?
Any suggestions for tour company to the canyon?
Thanks
Mar 16th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Is private transfer a taxi or can one arrange this in advance?
Any suggestions for tour company to the canyon?
Thanks
Mar 16th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

OO - do you have a hotel suggestion for Aquas Calientes?
Mar 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM

I'd pick a hotel in Arequipa and in Chivay and see if they have a suggestion for a one way transfer back from Colca. The agencies all have private tours on their websites.

I stayed at La Casa de Melgar in AQP and they have a driver that picks up from the airport, and does tours, but I don't know if he goes to AQP. I would think most of the independent hotels have contacts.

I used Giardino for Colca which is nice since it isn't a pool tour, but they stay at Mama Yacchi which is on the Corporaque side of the canyon, which means getting up at 5 am for the condors. But I liked their guide and it turned out there were only two of us (low season) so it was sort of semi=custom (in a small minivan). For my second night I stayed at Killawasi in Yanque, which I really liked. If you go to Killwasi's website they say they can set up tours so maybe you can send them your details and see what they say.
Mar 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM

I meant "I don't know if he goes Colca to AQP." in par 2.
Mar 17th, 2012, 04:12 AM
OO

Julebarbara, they stayed at Wiracocha Inn at Aguas Calientes. They Skyped (from their lobby), but the inn wasn't described at all--all our time spent talking about Machu Picchu. I do know it was only about a 5 minute walk from the train station.
Mar 18th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

oo -thanks for the information and I do hope all the family stays well and enjoys every minute
Mar 18th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

mlgb -thanks for the help - we are using Giardino and they think they can get me to the airport for the flight -did you go on to Puno from there and do you have any suggestions. Someone has suggested doing the islands by private boat or independently by ferry.