A few days in Buenos Aires after Antarctic Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2023, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going on an Antartica cruise in December. Not enough time to go to Patagonia so we decided to stay in Buenos Aires for a few nights. Any must do things you can suggest?

Looking for hotel, restaurants and what to do.

Thanks in advance!
Tracy
Old Oct 6th, 2023, 10:30 AM
P_M

Sidebar--I'm also going to Antarctica in December. By any chance, are you with Hurtigruten?
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 10:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We started off staying in the city center of Buenos Aires, a mistake due to being constantly hassled by unsavory locals, pickpockets. Then we luckily were able get a hotel room in the Recoleta neighborhood at a lovely Melia hotel. It was so much better in every way.
Buenos Aires has a strong Italian heritage and we ate in Italian restaurants plus one steakhouse. You order a steak (de partier) to share as they are huge. We enjoyed Sottovoce and ate there several times.
We ate our one steak at La Cabrera in Palermo Soho, another nice area. The steak reminded us of how steaks tasted when we were children. We do not eat much beef but had to have one steak in Argentina.
One warning: Only get in a radio taxi that is called for you. Any hotel front desk or restaurant will call one for you whether or not you are a patron. Our hotel warned us repeatedly every time we went out of the hotel.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Nov 17th, 2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 05:04 PM
P_M

Happy Trvlr, how do you recommend getting to the hotel from the airport? I am planning to taxi, but how do I know the ones to use and the ones to avoid? I'm a woman traveling alone so safety is a priority, as well as not getting ripped off.

I'm staying at the Hilton Buenos Aires.

Thanks.
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 03:10 PM

Been to BA twice -- once on an Argentina trip, and once in transit to Antarctica cruise. BA is a city lacking in "must do things" but it's a really enjoyable city nonetheless. The Recoleta Cemetery is the most famous tourist site, and beyond that nothing else is a must. Look at a tour book or online list of sites and go with what interests you. We like walking around cities and exploring different neighborhoods, and BA was great for that. In addition to "sites," BA is a really fun place just to sit back at a cafe and people watch and/or watch tango performers. Obviously, steaks are amazing. Lots of nightlife if that's your thing.
Old Nov 23rd, 2023, 04:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
P_M: We had a private driver pick us up at the airport. We used a South American travel agent to help with parts of this trip.
Why don’t you contact the Concierge at the Hilton Buenos Aires and have them arrange your airport pickup. I have done that in several countries. I looked the hotel up and it says prominently on their website that they provide a free airport shuttle. I would contact the hotel for details about this shuttle.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Nov 23rd, 2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 11:07 AM
P_M

Thanks for your reply Happy, I'll check it out.
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 04:39 AM

Haha just booked Hurtigruten for Black Friday. Wouldn't that be funny if we are on the same date?

Have a few nights in BA in advance. Been there before not a fan but staying in Recoleta this time.

​​​Will probably do a walking tour, never made it to the cemetery.

Empanadas, ice cream and pastries. I found food kinda bland. Was around Easter and the suggested splurge steak restaurant wasn't all that especially after Uruguay.

If crellston doesn't chime in he has some suggestions either search here for his username or see if they are written up in his blog. I know he likes his steaks.

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 29th, 2023 at 04:56 AM.
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 07:14 AM

Since it's holiday season I will probably pop into the lobby of Palacio Duhau and check out their decorations. On our prior trip (2016) they had quite the display of sugar Easter animals.

Old Nov 29th, 2023, 01:10 PM
P_M

Mlgb, I'm sailing Dec 13. How about you?
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 01:27 PM

I think we are on two different ships but overlap while around the peninsula. Wave to me if you pass Roald Ahmundsen...I don't get to Buenos Aires until the evening of Dec 12. You'll probably be tucked up in bed by the time I get there.

If you have time let us know how the transfer from the airport goes and what you did.

After I check out on 12/14 I'll post about my hotel, etc.. Still need to do my interview tonight to get the medical release...No way would Kaiser accommodate that rush request for an MD to sign a form. 10 working days.

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 29th, 2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 07:29 PM
P_M

I'll be on the Fridtjof Nansen. I'm arriving on Dec 11 so by the 12th I will have my energy back. I'll send a PM.
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 07:30 PM
P_M

I'll be on the Fridtjof Nansen. I'm arriving on Dec 11 so by the 12th I will have my energy back. I tried to send a private message but it won't go. You're welcome to message me if you wish.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 08:38 AM

Based on your dates I figured that's what you were on. I'll PM you my hotel. I don't want to post it publicly. But I think I will be exhausted on the 12th as it's nearly 24 hours of flying time and I won't get to my lodging until about midnight. I need to add a night in BA on the 29th.
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 04:19 AM

Recoleta cemetery is a "must see" . Better done as a free (tip based) guided tour. From memory, they start from the main gate at 10;30 and 15:00 (do check online) . I think only some are in English. If you happen to be there on a Sunday, book the buffet lunch at The Alvear Palace. We were taken there by a Porteño friend and it was amazing! Expensive though!

La Boca is worth a look for its brightly coloured houses. A bit touristy. Watch your belongings and dont wander away from the main streets.

Cafe Tortoni is the oldest cafe in BA and good for a look inside and a coffee at least . I really try and catch a Tango show.

Antiques and flea market in San Telmo. Even if you are not into buying anything, the street theatre is a lot of fun. Definitely on on a Sunday and maybe on a Saturday .

I am very envious of you guys heading to Antartica - make sure to post reports when you get back.
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm trying to book a special tour or the Paraná Delta for my full free arrival day, unclear if it will go, as I think they want a second person. I will try posting on Cruise Critic, maybe I can scare someone else up.
https://deltaunplugged.com/en/

Backup plan cemetery in the morning, will see if I can find an early English tour. If not practice my minimal Argentinean Spanish listening skills.

For a tango it will have to wait for the return, reluctant to be bottled up inside a crowded room. I have seen a few Tango shows in my time including in Sevilla.

I plan to at least pop into the lobby of both the Alvear Palace and Palaciao Duhau. Will attempt a takeout order from El Sanjuanino, Worse comes to worse drink a bottle of cheap Malbec in my hotel, hopefully with the AC on.