60 day Trip to South America

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Peru, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile and couple of other countries around.
In the past we did few trips to Middle east, Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand and India with small Internet based local tour companies. We were very happy with all 3 local companies.
Can any one let us know similar companies in South America.

Also for 60 days in December-2016 Which are the places we have to visit? We like to experience local culture, traditions, Festivals if possible. Also Natural beauty and meet local people.
Thank you in advance
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 01:32 PM

For Argentina, I suggest you research Isabel, a local independent travel agent, by placing her name in this forum's search feature http://tinyurl.com/nw9f4 and draw your own conclusions.

Have a great time in South America.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 03:58 AM

Oh that's great enjoy.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 05:30 AM

To include a vast country like Brazil, with many points of interest besides the trite and obvious Rio, falls, and Amazon, in a short 60 day trip with all those other countries is rather pointless IMO for anyone wanting to "experience local culture, traditions, Festivals if possible. Also Natural beauty and meet local people". You could easily spend the whole 60 days in Brazil without boredom. Save it for another, separate, trip.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 06:32 AM

I am confused. You tagged this post Brazil but don't mention it in the narrative. Do you want to include it or not?

Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Chile (or at least parts of those countries) could be combined into 60 days, although it sounds like a lot of time, it really isn't when you consider the vast distances and the sheer number of wonderful places you could include. We spend 60 days each in Bolivia and Peru and still only scratched the surface.

If you are happy with whistle stop tour then fair enough, but I would strongly suggest you cut the number of countries to two, three max and buy a decent guidebook to work out what it is you want to see. No one can decide for you the places you "have to visit"

To make the most out of your trip you really need to do a LOT of planning.

As for tour operators, most will be happy to take your money but provide very little in return over and above what you could easily do yourself.

For Peru check out http://www.andeantravelweb.com for info on local operators.
Allways travel have a good rep as do Kanoo Travel in La Paz.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 08:00 AM

Good advice from crellston. I would add that I had a good tour with Giardino from Arequipa to Chivay (Colca Canyon) for not much more than I would have spent to go independently.

Chile is fairly expensive, I found excursions difficult to arrange from overseas, even though it is more "Westernized". I'd recommend doing more planning for that country (or forgo that country for this trip).

I found both Peru and Bolivia fairly easy to do as seat of pants although recommend booking the first night in any large city in advance.